King's College London (KCL) undergrad physics?

In summary, the physics department at King's College London is low ranking on the Guardian university rankings, but Bristol has much newer labs and a better course ranking. It is a tough decision to make whether to study at King's or Bristol, as the course at King's is ranked lower than at Bristol, but both universities are good.
NatJS
I've been offered a place at both King's and Bristol to study physics at undergrad as a mature student (I just turned 26 two days ago).

I live in London currently and would quite like to stay here so the offer from KCL is the most immediately attractive. However King's physics department scores SO low on the Guardian league table - they came 41st out of 41 departments in the country last year and the year before. When I applied I thought of King's as being one of the best unis so I was really disappointed to see the rankings; has anyone studied physics there at undergrad level, and if so what did they think of it?

I went on a post-offer open day tour last week but as it was for applicants to all subjects (music, business, law etc.) there wasn't a chance to see specific departments, including the physics department. It seems like it's too late in the year to arrange a tour privately so I'm having to rely on what I read from other people but there seems to be almost no mention of it online.

It's a tough decision to make because I was quite impressed with the brand new labs they have at Bristol, but I have a life in London and it's quite a move to go that far west, but the course is ranked much higher than KCL. Anyone know what the course is like at King's? Does it matter a great deal where you do your undergrad study?

Cheers,

Nat

Physics news on Phys.org
these rankings are a black art that depend on so many things that you may not care about. It may be that KCL didn't submit information or the metric has changed. Who knows.

Newspaper rankings do not matter one bit for anything, ever. They completely change every year and are based on dubious and subjective criteria. Common sense should be able to see that they are worthless.

I absolutely see your point and I'd love to agree with you, but I as long as employers are looking at those rankings I'm going to be looking at those rankings. Employers can't afford to go looking for the latent in every candidate so they make generalisations and rely rankings discriminate for them to a degree. You should hear how some people gush when they manage to hire someone from oxbridge.

Think the Physics dept at KCL is fairly small, which might explain the variability in rankings.

That doesn't mean it's bad, but might mean less choice, if you're looking to to get involved in undergrad research depending on which areas you find interesting.

Related to King's College London (KCL) undergrad physics?

1. What is the undergraduate Physics program like at King's College London?

The undergraduate Physics program at KCL is a rigorous and comprehensive program that covers a wide range of topics in physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Students also have the opportunity to specialize in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, and medical physics.

2. How is the faculty of the Physics department at KCL?

The faculty of the Physics department at KCL is highly qualified and experienced, with many professors and lecturers actively involved in research projects. They are also known for their dedication to teaching and providing support to students.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available for undergraduate Physics students at KCL?

KCL has a strong research focus, and undergraduate Physics students have the opportunity to participate in research projects through independent study courses, summer research programs, and research internships. These experiences allow students to gain hands-on experience and further develop their skills and knowledge in their chosen area of interest.

4. Are there any extracurricular activities or clubs specifically for Physics students at KCL?

Yes, there are several extracurricular activities and clubs available for Physics students at KCL. These include the Physics Society, which organizes social and academic events, and the Women in Physics Society, which aims to support and empower female students in the field of physics.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates of the undergraduate Physics program at KCL?

Graduates from the undergraduate Physics program at KCL have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Many go on to pursue further studies in physics or related fields, while others enter careers in industries such as healthcare, finance, engineering, and education. The strong foundation and analytical skills gained from the program prepare graduates for a diverse range of career paths.