Just Want to learn Pure Math Graduate level

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to pursue their interest in pure math at the graduate level, despite having a lower GPA from their undergraduate studies. They have discovered their passion for pure math late but are determined to continue learning. The individual is considering a master's program or PhD and has taken several math classes but is unsure of which ones to take next. The suggested advice is to focus on improving grades, taking challenging classes, and gaining experience through research or internships to demonstrate their passion and skills in the field of mathematics.
JPSartre
Good evening,

The biggest question for me right now is what to do now?
I got a bad experience from high school and was never a hardworking student. I got admission to a top school for undergrad and as we all know college is somewhat different, I started to really learn as from Junior year. I completed an Econ major and then I discovered the beauty of pure math. I never knew how pretty and rewarding that subject could be like and now I just want to learn that. I discovered pure math pretty late though but I still want to learn the subject as for me, there is not a more interesting field. Here is the dilema:
I just want to continue learning pure math at the graduate level but my grades aren't that great 3.1 gpa with econ, pure math and french major (from Uni of Michigan). I am considering masters program in Pure or PhD in any respectable school, I just want to learn. What would be a good advice from your experience if I just want to learn pure math.

Classes I have taken so far: Linear algebra, abstract algebra, ordinary differential eq, elementary analysis, number theory, probability.
Will be taking: PDE, numerical methods, combinatorics and graph theory, topology, complex variables and I'm not sure.

I would really appreciate your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to focus on improving your grades. While it may be too late to significantly improve your GPA, you can still demonstrate to grad schools that you are a capable and hardworking student by taking challenging classes and doing well in them. Additionally, try to get a research position or internship to show your interest in the field of mathematics. If you can show that you are passionate and have the skills needed to succeed in the field, then grad schools will be more likely to overlook your lower GPA. Good luck!

Related to Just Want to learn Pure Math Graduate level

1. What is pure math?

Pure math, also known as pure mathematics or abstract mathematics, is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the theoretical aspects of the subject rather than its practical applications. It involves the study of mathematical structures and concepts, such as numbers, sets, functions, and geometry, and their relationships with each other.

2. What are some examples of topics covered in pure math graduate level courses?

Some examples of topics covered in pure math graduate level courses include abstract algebra, topology, real and complex analysis, differential geometry, and number theory. These courses delve deeper into the fundamental concepts of mathematics and require a strong foundation in basic mathematical principles.

3. What skills are necessary to excel in pure math at the graduate level?

To excel in pure math at the graduate level, one must have a strong aptitude for problem-solving, critical thinking, and abstract reasoning. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts and a willingness to constantly learn and explore new ideas and theories.

4. What are the potential career opportunities for someone with a graduate degree in pure math?

Graduates with a degree in pure math have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as academia, research, finance, technology, and data analysis. They can also pursue careers in industries that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, such as engineering and computer science.

5. What resources are available for someone interested in learning pure math at the graduate level?

There are several resources available for those interested in learning pure math at the graduate level. These include textbooks, online courses, lectures and seminars, study groups, and mentorship programs. It is also important to stay updated on current research and developments in the field by reading academic journals and attending conferences and workshops.