Ising Model & Wolff's algorithm in FORTRAN

In summary, Wolff's algorithm is used to create clusters of sites in a lattice, and it is done in a consecutive manner. If a site fails a probability check, it can be added to the cluster as a neighbor of a different site.
deco
Hi, I have the problema of implementing wolff's algorithm for ising model in 2-D lattice.
Has anyone ever done this algorithm in FORTRAN ?

I have questions of how to join the clusters.

Alexandre

Physics news on Phys.org
deco said:
Hi, I have the problema of implementing wolff's algorithm for ising model in 2-D lattice.
Has anyone ever done this algorithm in FORTRAN ?

I have questions of how to join the clusters.

Alexandre

The way I understand it, you only have one cluster at a time when using Wolff's algorithm. So in each iteration, you:
  1. Choose a site in your lattice at random
  2. Check all the neighbors of that site -- if the neighbors pass a probability condition, add them to the cluster.
  3. Check all the neighbors of the sites that just got added to the cluster. Repeat the probability proceedure.
  4. Continue until no sites get added to the cluster.
  5. Flip the spin of every site in the cluster.

Note that a neighbor that previously failed the probability check can get added to the cluster as a neighbor of a different site.

ChaosCon343 said:
The way I understand it, you only have one cluster at a time when using Wolff's algorithm. So in each iteration, you:
  1. Choose a site in your lattice at random
  2. Check all the neighbors of that site -- if the neighbors pass a probability condition, add them to the cluster.
  3. Check all the neighbors of the sites that just got added to the cluster. Repeat the probability proceedure.
  4. Continue until no sites get added to the cluster.
  5. Flip the spin of every site in the cluster.

Note that a neighbor that previously failed the probability check can get added to the cluster as a neighbor of a different site.

Thanks! I rode it in my national language and i didn't understand all but in english i see that it is simply:-) It is freak because i don't know english well(am i freak?):-)

Related to Ising Model & Wolff's algorithm in FORTRAN

1. What is the Ising Model and how is it used in scientific research?

The Ising Model is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of magnetically interacting particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a lattice structure. It is commonly used in statistical physics and materials science to understand the properties of magnetic materials and phase transitions. By simulating the Ising Model, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. What is the significance of Wolff's algorithm in the Ising Model?

Wolff's algorithm is a Monte Carlo simulation method used to efficiently calculate the properties of the Ising Model. It was developed by Ulli Wolff in 1989 and has since become a widely used and highly efficient algorithm in the field of computational physics. It allows researchers to simulate larger and more complex systems, and has been instrumental in advancing our understanding of the Ising Model and its applications.

3. What is FORTRAN and why is it used for simulating the Ising Model and Wolff's algorithm?

FORTRAN (Formula Translation) is a high-level, general-purpose programming language that was designed for mathematical and scientific computing. It is particularly well-suited for handling complex mathematical operations, making it a popular choice for simulating the Ising Model and implementing Wolff's algorithm. Additionally, many legacy codes and libraries for scientific research are written in FORTRAN, making it a practical and reliable choice for scientific simulations.

4. How does Wolff's algorithm differ from other Monte Carlo methods used in the Ising Model?

Wolff's algorithm is a cluster algorithm, meaning it updates a group of neighboring spins in the Ising Model at once, rather than updating each spin individually. This makes it much more efficient than other Monte Carlo methods, such as the Metropolis algorithm, which update each spin individually. Additionally, Wolff's algorithm is designed to overcome the critical slowing down problem, allowing for faster simulations of larger systems.

5. Can I use other programming languages besides FORTRAN to simulate the Ising Model and implement Wolff's algorithm?

Yes, there are various programming languages and libraries that can be used to simulate the Ising Model and implement Wolff's algorithm. Some popular choices include C, C++, Python, and MATLAB. However, FORTRAN remains a popular choice due to its speed and efficiency for scientific computing. Ultimately, the choice of programming language depends on the researcher's preference and the specific needs of their simulation.