Variable grid mesh in Numerov's method (Fortran)

In summary, the individual was trying to implement a variable grid mesh in Numerov's method while experimenting with fortran. The standard discretization was working fine, but when the variable grid was added, the results seemed to be affected by the function's "metric". The individual is seeking help in developing an iterative algorithm for a variable grid mesh to solve differential equations and is asking for references or resources. They have realized that they need to modify the algorithm and use the chain rule in the derivatives to adapt to the gridmesh. They are also considering posting in a different subforum for programming and computer science.
Telemachus
I was trying to implement a variable grid mesh in Numerov's method, while playing with fortran. Numerov method was working well with a standard discretization, but when I tried to implement this variable grid, things came to look as if the 'metric' of the function were depending on the functionality I was using in the grid mesh. I thought that as Numerov's uses two points in the algorithm, that this variable mesh was introducing new things that the standard Numerov algorithm doesn't have in account.

So, basically, I want to know how should I develop an iterative algorithm to work on a variable grid mesh (specifically to solve differential equations), how to tell the algorithm that the previous or forward steps are not at the same distance. Perhaps someone here can help me, or give me some reference. Any textbook that covers this kind of topics?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
After thinking of this, I've realized that I should modify the algorithm I'm using. I think that I should use the chain rule in the derivatives, so in that way I would have the information of how the points in the domain are varying. So, I should take a deeper look at Numerov's method and modify it to adapt to the gridmesh I'm using. Is that correct?

BTW, would this subforum be more appropriate for this topic: https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/programming-and-computer-science.165/ ?

Related to Variable grid mesh in Numerov's method (Fortran)

1. What is Numerov's method in Fortran?

Numerov's method is a numerical method used for solving second-order differential equations. It is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications, particularly in computational physics.

2. What is a variable grid mesh in Numerov's method?

A variable grid mesh in Numerov's method refers to the use of a non-uniform grid for calculating the solution of a differential equation. This means that the spacing between data points is not constant, allowing for more accurate results in areas where the function being solved varies rapidly.

3. How does a variable grid mesh improve the accuracy of Numerov's method?

A variable grid mesh allows for more data points to be placed in areas of rapid variation, resulting in a more accurate approximation of the solution. This is because a non-uniform grid can better capture the behavior of the function being solved, compared to a uniform grid which may miss important features.

4. What are some challenges associated with implementing a variable grid mesh in Numerov's method?

One challenge is determining the appropriate spacing between data points, as this can significantly affect the accuracy of the solution. Another challenge is the increased complexity of the algorithm, as the calculations for a non-uniform grid are more involved compared to a uniform grid.

5. Are there any other numerical methods that use a variable grid mesh?

Yes, there are other numerical methods that use a variable grid mesh, such as the Runge-Kutta method and the Adams-Bashforth method. These methods are commonly used for solving differential equations in various fields of science and engineering.