Is Trig a prerequisite for Differential Equations?

In summary, if you are an engineering or physics major, you should definitely take geometry. If you are not an engineering or physics major, you can still benefit from taking geometry. However, you will not need to refresh trigonometry if you already have a good understanding of it.
daigo
Before taking Differential Equations/Linear Algebra in my first year of college, I am brushing up on Algebra I/II, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus I/II. Should I also run through Trigonometry as well or should I not waste my time on it if I don't have enough time to go through everything else first? What about Geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Geometry is not needed, so don't waste your time with that.

Refreshing trig is a good idea, but you won't need to refresh everything. Basically, you just need to be able to calculate integrals and derivatives in which trigonometric functions appear.

Geometry is not needed, so don't waste your time with that.

For differential equations, this is true, but OP: If you're an engineering or physics major, take geometry. I kick myself every day for having to learn geometry while simultaneously struggling through physics. Also, I think an intuitive grasp of the trigonometric functions is handy, but I managed to survive much better without taking a full-on trig class than I did without taking a full-on geometry class.

I add my recommendation to become really good at Integral Calculus.

This includes learning as many trigonometric identities and tricks you probably were taught in Calculus II. This helped me the most for my ODEs/Linear Algebra course.

Depending on how well your professor reviews Linear Algebra (of which you should have had a small taste in your College Algebra/High school math courses), you may or may not need to go back and review that material before getting into Linear Spaces and Eigenvectors (and all that other cool stuff I've since forgotten because I haven't used it regularly...and I took it only just this last spring!)

matt

trigonometric functions are everywhere, it will make your life easier if you are familiar with their properties

Angry Citizen said:
For differential equations, this is true, but OP: If you're an engineering or physics major, take geometry. I kick myself every day for having to learn geometry while simultaneously struggling through physics. Also, I think an intuitive grasp of the trigonometric functions is handy, but I managed to survive much better without taking a full-on trig class than I did without taking a full-on geometry class.

I agree with Angry Citizen. If you plan to go into science or engineering, you really need well-developed visual thinking and geometry helps with that. Trig will pop up in those subjects very frequently.

If learning math is like building a house, things like geometry and trig are your tools. It may be possible to build a house without a level or a hammer, but the house might end up looking weird.

Yep! Geometry and Trig are essential if you are headed into engineering. The concepts that you need to understand those will crop up over and over again. If you have aced those courses, it's still a good idea to review them before moving to more advanced mathematics. You'll need those basics time and time again.

Listen to lisab. Her carpentry example is a pretty good one. You need to be well-founded in the basics to do well later.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my major is applied mathematics. I don't take any engineering or science courses. Does this make a difference?

daigo said:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my major is applied mathematics. I don't take any engineering or science courses. Does this make a difference?

No. You still don't need geometry for diffy eq.

But geometry and trig are very important in applied mathematics too. So studying it doesn't hurt.

Related to Is Trig a prerequisite for Differential Equations?

1. Is Trig a prerequisite for Differential Equations?

Yes, Trigonometry is typically a prerequisite for Differential Equations. It provides the necessary foundation for understanding concepts such as angles, trigonometric functions, and complex numbers that are essential in solving differential equations.

2. Can I take Differential Equations without knowing Trig?

No, it is not recommended to take Differential Equations without a solid understanding of Trigonometry. It will make it much more difficult to understand the concepts and solve equations without this prerequisite knowledge.

3. What specific Trig topics do I need to know for Differential Equations?

Some of the key Trigonometry topics that are necessary for Differential Equations include trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent), inverse trigonometric functions, trigonometric identities, and trigonometric equations.

4. Can I use a calculator in Differential Equations if I don't know Trig?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool in solving Differential Equations, it cannot replace a solid understanding of Trigonometry. In order to accurately use a calculator, you must have a good grasp of trigonometric concepts and be able to interpret the results.

5. Is there a way to refresh my Trig skills before taking Differential Equations?

Yes, there are many resources available to refresh your Trigonometry skills before taking Differential Equations. You can review online tutorials, practice problems, or review your old Trig notes or textbooks. It may also be helpful to speak with your professor or a tutor for additional guidance.