Is this a misprint in my SR homework?

In summary, the problem involves an electron with energy 3mc2 and momentum magnitude √(8)mc in frame of reference S. The goal is to use the transformations of energy and momentum to find the corresponding values in frame S′ moving with speed 4c/5 relative to S in the positive x-direction. There is some confusion about the electron's proper velocity and the equation m(γ(dx/dt)) = √8mc.
sigma_

Homework Statement

"In frame of reference S, an electron moving along the x-axis has
energy 3mc2 and momentum magnitude √(8)mc
Use the transformations of energy and momentum to find the energy and momentum magnitude observed in
frame S′ moving with speed 4c/5 relative to S in the positive x-direction."

Homework Equations

How can the electron have a proper velocity of c?

If relativistic velocity is dx/dτ = γdx/dt, and relativistic momentum is simply the mass time the relativistic velocity, how is m(γ(dx/dt)) = √8mc?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the problem correctly, I am just unsure of a detail in the wording of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello

sigma_ said:
How can the electron have a proper velocity of c?

How do you get that the electron has a proper velocity of c?

If relativistic velocity is dx/dτ = γdx/dt, and relativistic momentum is simply the mass time the relativistic velocity, how is m(γ(dx/dt)) = √8mc?

What is it about m(γ(dx/dt)) = √8mc that you find disconcerting?

Related to Is this a misprint in my SR homework?

1. Is it possible that this is a misprint in my SR homework?

Yes, it is possible that there is a misprint in your SR (scientific research) homework. Mistakes happen, and it's important to carefully review your homework and bring any potential misprints to your instructor's attention.

2. How can I tell if something is a misprint in my SR homework?

One way to determine if something is a misprint in your SR homework is to compare it to other sources or your lecture notes. If something seems out of place or doesn't make sense, it could be a misprint. You can also ask your instructor or a classmate for their input.

3. Should I still complete the homework if there is a misprint?

Yes, you should still complete the homework even if there is a misprint. It's important to try your best and demonstrate your understanding of the material. If you are unsure about a specific question, you can always ask your instructor for clarification.

4. Can a misprint affect my grade on the SR homework?

It's possible that a misprint could affect your grade on the SR homework if it leads to incorrect answers or confusion. However, if you bring the misprint to your instructor's attention and demonstrate your understanding of the material, it should not negatively impact your grade.

5. What should I do if I find a misprint in my SR homework?

If you find a misprint in your SR homework, you should bring it to your instructor's attention as soon as possible. They may provide clarification or make a note of the misprint for future students. It's also a good idea to double check your work for any other potential misprints.