Is This a Good Strategy for the AP Physics B Exam?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics teacher who does not effectively teach the subject and instead encourages students to prepare for college by self-studying from the textbook. The teacher suggests a strategy of jotting down formulas and solving for variables on the AP exam, with the belief that a 60-70% score will result in a 5 on the exam. However, the credibility of this teacher and the effectiveness of this strategy are questioned. The conversation also briefly mentions the ease of the AP physics B exam and the student's goal of getting a minimum of a 3 to enter their desired college.
Ortix
So i got this crazy physics teacher who doesn't actually teach physics. And this is not one of those comments from a lazy kid who doesn't want to learn and uses his teacher as an excuse. On the contrary: I LOVE physics hence i keep getting good grades since i actually teach myself from the book.

The excuse my teacher uses is that he is preparing us for college... well I don't need your help in being prepared because i rather LEARN physics the high school way and actually get into college and then i'll manage.

Either way... He keeps telling us that a good strategy on the ap exam is for every question to jot down the formula you need, solve for the variable and then move on. If you have time left come back and plug in the numbers.

What do you guys think? Is this teacher trustworthy? Should i use this strategy on my exam? He keeps telling us that if you get a 60-70% or something you get a 5 on the exam.

How true is all of this?

Thank you for your help! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
The AP physics B exam is a complete joke. I got a 5 on it without studying, and I wasn't even a good student in high school. If you're worried about getting a 5 on the AP exam, just practice 2-3 weeks before the test and you'll be fine.

ok that's good! Haha, i take old ap fizzix (that's how he spells it) exams right now and i keep getting like 90% of them right so i guess I'm good.

I need a minimum of a 3 to get into the college i want to go to so i hope i don't black out or anything :D

Related to Is This a Good Strategy for the AP Physics B Exam?

1. What is the format of the AP Physics B exam?

The AP Physics B exam consists of two sections - a multiple choice section and a free response section. The multiple choice section contains 70 questions and accounts for 50% of the total exam score. The free response section includes 3 questions and accounts for the remaining 50% of the score.

2. What topics are covered on the AP Physics B exam?

The AP Physics B exam covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermodynamics, and modern physics. It also requires a strong understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.

3. How is the AP Physics B exam scored?

The multiple choice section is scored by a computer and each correct answer receives 1 point, with no penalty for incorrect answers. The free response section is scored by trained AP Physics teachers and each question is worth 9 points. The scores from both sections are combined to give a final score out of 100.

4. How should I prepare for the AP Physics B exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics B exam, it is important to review all the major topics covered on the exam and practice solving problems and answering questions from past exams. It is also helpful to take practice tests and seek out additional resources such as review books or online tutorials.

5. Can I use a calculator on the AP Physics B exam?

Yes, a calculator is allowed on the AP Physics B exam. However, it is important to note that only certain types of calculators are allowed and they must meet specific requirements. It is recommended to check the College Board website for a list of approved calculators before the exam.