Is this a correct way to describe number sets?

• I
  • Thread starter Logical Dog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: So ##1## is a special number because it doesn't have a predecessor, and all others have a successor and a predecessor.
Logical Dog
Hello,

I am excited to be learning about number sets again, :P.

Ok, so this is how I describe them:

N={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10….∞} Z={-∞….-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3…∞}

Q=a/b ,a∈Z,b∈{Z∖0}

The first three are correct. However, how do we describe irrational numbers? Is it just the difference set of Real - rational - integer - natural? or something else?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Bipolar Demon said:
Hello,

Q=a/b ,a∈Z,b∈{Z∖0}

The first three are correct. However, how do we describe irrational numbers? Is it just the difference set of Real - rational - integer - natural? or something else?

Irrational numbers don't have a symbol. For the irrational numbers, we write:

##\mathbb{R}\backslash\mathbb{Q}##

Since we exclude ##\mathbb{Q}##, we also exclude ##\mathbb{N}## and ##\mathbb{Z}## as they are subsets of ##\mathbb{Q}##

Likes Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
Hello,

Q=a/b ,a∈Z,b∈{Z∖0}

##+ \infty## and ##-\infty## are not numbers and shouldn't appear in the definition. However, you may define sets which include them, but then they aren't number sets anymore and ##\frac{a}{b}## is not allowed in order to define ##\mathbb{Q}##, because ##a,b \in \{\pm \infty\}## don't allow ##\frac{a}{b}##.

And as @Math_QED has said: irrational literally means not rational, i.e. not in ##\mathbb{Q}##.

Likes Logical Dog
Math_QED said:
For the irrational numbers, we write:

##\mathbb{R}\backslash\mathbb{Q}##

is it because the rational numbers nest integers which nest natural numbers? so bascially was i correct but i forgot about the "nesting" or this realtionship:

N⊂Z⊂Q⊂R

fresh_42 said:
##+ \infty## and ##-\infty## are not numbers and shouldn't appear in the definition. However, you may define sets which include them, but then they aren't number sets anymore and ##\frac{a}{b}## is not allowed in order to define ##\mathbb{Q}##, because ##a,b \in \{\pm \infty\}## don't allow ##\frac{a}{b}##.

And as @Math_QED has said: irrational literally means not rational, i.e. not in ##\mathbb{Q}##.
so how would one define rational numbers using proper set notation?

Bipolar Demon said:
is it because the rational numbers nest integers which nest natural numbers? so bascially was i correct but i forgot about the "nesting" or this realtionship:

N⊂Z⊂Q⊂R

I edited my first post, and as you can see you are right.

Likes Logical Dog
fresh_42 said:

but the number sets are infinite? isn't it important to indicate this?

Bipolar Demon said:
The dots do that.
Q=a/b ,a∈Z,b∈{Z∖0}
This should get brackets:

Q={a/b ,a∈Z,b∈{Z∖0} }

There is no similar way to define all irrational numbers, you have to introduce them as limit process (every irrational number can be seen as limit of a series of rational numbers) or via other things.

Bipolar Demon said:

Yes, but according your definition, for example ##\pm\infty \in \mathbb{Z}## and these are no numbers like ##1, -3 , 0, 325##. There are many reasons for this. For example, you may know that ##\forall a,b \in \mathbb{Z}: a + b \in \mathbb{Z}##. If ##\pm\infty \in \mathbb{Z}##, then this would be false since ##+\infty + (-\infty)## is undefined. @fresh_42 gave the example that ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## does not make sense in ##\mathbb{Q}## (eg this is undefined).

You are right though that these sets are infinite, but you indicate this in a wrong way.

Likes Logical Dog
Bipolar Demon said:
so how would one define rational numbers using proper set notation?
Just leave out ##\{\pm \infty\} ## and let the dots do their work.
Bipolar Demon said:

N⊂Z⊂Q⊂R
If you want to have a mathematical reasoning, then it goes like this:

##\mathbb{N} := \{1,2,3,4, \dots\}## is a half-group according to addition.

##\mathbb{Z} := \{\dots ,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4, \dots\}## is the group generated by the half-group ## \mathbb{N}##.

It happens to be that ##\mathbb{Z} ## is also a ring and even an integral domain. Therefore it allows

##\mathbb{Q} := \{\frac{a}{b}\,\vert \, a,b \in \mathbb{Z}\,,\, b \neq 0\}## as its quotient field.

##\mathbb{R} := \overline{ \mathbb{Q} }## is the completion of ##\mathbb{Q}##, i.e. filling in the gaps.

##\mathbb{C} := \mathbb{R} [ i ] ## with ## i^2 + 1 = 0 ## is the algebraic closure of ##\mathbb{R}##, i.e. making all polynomial equations having a solution.

I'm currently reading about the natural numbers and one can define ##\mathbb{N}## as the unique set that satisfies the Peano Postulates.

Peano Postulates:

There exists a set ##\mathbb{N}## with an element ##1 \in \mathbb{N}## and a function ##s: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## satisfying 3 properties:

1) There is no ##n## such that ##s(n) =1##
2) ##s## is injective
3) Let ##G \subset \mathbb{N}## be a set. Suppose that ##1 \in G##, and that if ##g \in G##, then ##s(g) \in G##. Then ##G = \mathbb{N}##

Math_QED said:
I'm currently reading about the natural numbers and one can define ##\mathbb{N}## as the unique set that satisfies the Peano Postulates.

Peano Postulates:

There exists a set ##\mathbb{N}## with an element ##1 \in \mathbb{N}## and a function ##s: \mathbb{N} \rightarrow \mathbb{N}## satisfying 3 properties:

1) There is no ##n## such that ##s(n) =1##
2) ##s## is injective
3) Let ##G \subset \mathbb{N}## be a set. Suppose that ##1 \in G##, and that if ##g \in G##, then ##s(g) \in G##. Then ##G = \mathbb{N}##
It helps to call ##s## the successor function. Personally I can't memorize them in their exact wording. I like to think of ##\mathbb{N} ## as "there is a ##1## and all numbers have a successor (Peano)" which allows counting.

fresh_42 said:
It helps to call ##s## the successor function. Personally I can't memorize them in their exact wording. I like to think of ##\mathbb{N} ## as "there is a ##1## and all numbers have a successor (Peano)" which allows counting.

Yes ##s## is the successor function, but it's hard to see (at least for me) from these axioms that ##s: n \mapsto n +1##. I'm actually currently reading the proof that this is possible, and it requires the recursion theorem.

Math_QED said:
Yes ##s## is the successor function, but it's hard to see (at least for me) from these axioms that ##s: n \mapsto n +1##. I'm actually currently reading the proof that this is possible, and it requires the recursion theorem.
I guess, it would be for me, too. The good part is, that those abstract approaches force you not to take anything for granted. I once (started) to read a book about group theory that basically didn't contain any formulas. Almost everything has been said in plain text. Plus the groups have been defined differently than the Bourbaki version. And I remember when I learned the Dedekind cuts. I had trouble to see any real number at all.

Have fun!
(And as it is internet: this was not meant to be ironic.)

Likes member 587159
Math_QED said:

There is no unique set satisfying Peano. There are many sets. For example the naturals satisfy it. But also ##\{\pi, 2\pi, 3\pi,...\}## or ##\{2,3,5,7,11,...\}## with ##s(p) = \text{the next prime}##.

What is true is that the Peano axioms give rise to a set unique up to isomorphism. This is an important distinction! There is no way in math to define the natural numbers uniquely (although there are standard definitions, but these are not the only ones). We can only define them up to isomorphism.

And this is an important theme in math. Mathematicians don't care about the exact nature of the objects, but rather how they behave. If an object behaves like the natural numbers should behave in all respects, then it is the natural numbers for us, no matter how it is defined.

fresh_42 said:
And I remember when I learned the Dedekind cuts. I had trouble to see any real number at all.

Yes. I personally don't think Dedekind cuts define real numbers. I think the real numbers are an object in our imagination, something we have a lot of intuition for. But not something that we can mathematically describe.
The purpose of the Dedekind cuts is not to define real numbers. It is to define a structure inside our mathematical universe that has the same properties as a structure in our intuition. As such, we can easily reason with the real numbers and get results that would hold for the real numbers. But I would never say a Dedekind cut IS a real number.

micromass said:
There is no unique set satisfying Peano. There are many sets. For example the naturals satisfy it. But also ##\{\pi, 2\pi, 3\pi,...\}## or ##\{2,3,5,7,11,...\}## with ##s(p) = \text{the next prime}##.

What is true is that the Peano axioms give rise to a set unique up to isomorphism. This is an important distinction! There is no way in math to define the natural numbers uniquely (although there are standard definitions, but these are not the only ones). We can only define them up to isomorphism.

And this is an important theme in math. Mathematicians don't care about the exact nature of the objects, but rather how they behave. If an object behaves like the natural numbers should behave in all respects, then it is the natural numbers for us, no matter how it is defined.

Those sets don't contain 1 as element, which the Peano Postulates require, but I assume that there are other sets that satisfy the postulates if you say so.

Math_QED said:
Those sets don't contain 1 as element, which the Peano Postulates require, but I assume that there are other sets that satisfy the postulates if you say so.

The number ##1## is just a name for the first element in the Peano set. We can give this name to a lot of numbers. The Peano axioms assert the existence of some element that we call ##1## for convenience. We might as well call it ##\gamma##. The set ##\{\pi, 2\pi, 3\pi, ...\}## most definitely is a Peano structure with first element ##\gamma = 1##.

In fact, without the Peano axioms, there is no number ##1##. We use the Peano axioms to define the number ##1##, and we can define it in a lot of ways.

Likes member 587159
:eek:o_O I have understood all up to post #9..i do not think I can study enough in the time this debate lasts to understand the other posts..but feel free to discuss further.

Bipolar Demon said:
:eek:o_O I have understood all up to post #9..i do not think I can study enough in the time this debate lasts to understand the other posts..but feel free to discuss further.
You would be surprised what might happen, if you asked something innocent like: "Did we invent or discovered natural numbers?" or even simpler "Is ##0## a natural number?" :biggrin:

Likes Logical Dog
fresh_42 said:
You would be surprised what might happen, if you asked something innocent like: "Did we invent or discovered natural numbers?" or even simpler "Is ##0## a natural number?" :biggrin:

yes i never understood, some books and teachers include 0 as a natural number.

Bipolar Demon said:
yes i never understood, some books and teachers include 0 as a natural number.

As they should.

micromass said:
As they should.
ok thanks

micromass said:
As they should.
Please don't!
And they shouldn't. ##0## is a human achievement / discovery and nothing natural. :cool:

Likes Logical Dog
fresh_42 said:
Please don't!
And they shouldn't. ##0## is a human achievement and nothing natural. :cool:

You think Graham's number is natural?

fresh_42 said:
Please don't!
And they shouldn't. ##0## is a human achievement and nothing natural. :cool:
I also agree to this viewpoint

But sure, ##0## is unnatural. I have 2 apples and give 2 apples to my brother. What I have left is nothing natural??

Also, axiomatic set theory is pretty clear on the issue that ##0## should be a natural number. You'd make a mess out of the theory otherwise.

micromass said:
You think Graham's number is natural?
Hmm, I'd rather say funny. In any case it's a nice example how to code something huge in a small number of digits.

Did we invent the numbers? or discover them?

Bipolar Demon said:
Did we invent the numbers? or discover them?

Meh, once you rigorously define those terms, we might find an answer. So far, nobody has really given a satisfactory definition.

Likes Logical Dog
micromass said:
But sure, ##0## is unnatural. I have 2 apples and give 2 apples to my brother. What I have left is nothing natural??

Also, axiomatic set theory is pretty clear on the issue that ##0## should be a natural number. You'd make a mess out of the theory otherwise.
But this argument is essentially practicability as it is to exclude units to be prime. I have no problem when people work with ##\mathbb{N}_0## though.

micromass said:
Meh, once you rigorously define those terms, we might find an answer. So far, nobody has really given a satisfactory definition.
ok boss..this is all way over my head. xD

fresh_42 said:
But this argument is essentially practicability as it is to exclude units to be prime. I have no problem when people work with ##\mathbb{N}_0## though.

Well, clearly you don't think math should be elegant. I think elegance trumps everything else. And if you believe in elegance, ##0## should be a natural.

number is undefined, so is point, proposition, true, false, set, element...o0):frown:

micromass said:
Well, clearly you don't think math should be elegant. I think elegance trumps everything else. And if you believe in elegance, ##0## should be a natural.
Oh no. I won't turn into this ... Far too obvious!