Is there any school that I am qualify to apply?No GRE result or Master degree

In summary, Zapper is looking for advice about getting into a graduate school in physics. He has applied unsuccessfully to many top universities and is considering going to a graduate school in the US. He has no knowledge of graduate admissions in Hong Kong.
It'sjustaname
Dear all,
First of all, thanks for reading this. I've been struggling to get a Phd offer in physics since I've completed my BSc degree.This coming year will be my 3rd years in trying to do and till now I've never been success in doing so. The only reason that I what do have a PhD in physics is that I really to learn more and to do reaserch in physics for my whole life while still able to make a living. The only way I can think of is to become a professor in physics which mean I must have a PhD.I've heard from friend that people here may able to give some valuable advice. So the question is, is there any Grad School you know that I can apply for with some chance of sucess?

My Background:
I've obtained a 1st class hon with (~3.31/4.0 in GPA) but it is in applied physics undergraduate program. I don't have a master degree and I didn't take the GRE exam. I've been doing applied research since I've graduated and have 1 publication (but with low impact factor). However what I truelly want is to study the pure physics, the suject that ask and answer the question of "why" . Is there any chance that I may able to get an offer and could you suggest some school that I may try to apply for,please? I really don't want to wait for next year and next next year... If my qualification is really poor for getting any offer, will it be easier if I apply for Mphil program first and then apply for PhD after that?

Thank you very much for reading all the above and trying to help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You neglected to describe a whole lot of other things.

For example where EXACTLY have you applied? If you are applying only to MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, etc., then of course you will have a tough time getting in. So did you set your sights too high? Did you not know that you can still have a fulfilling career in physics even if you do not go to one of those brand-name grad school?

Secondly, why won't you take the GRE?

Thirdly, what is "pure physics"? Do you think that areas such as condensed matter physics is only "applied" and has no role in answer fundamental questions? Think again!

Zz.

Thank you Zapper in pointing out that my description could be clearer.

Answers to you questions
1)I didn't apply for neither MIT, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford,or any other famous university with world ranking top 50 in physics. In fact I had just applied a few university in Hong Kong due to my personal reason. But since I failed to do so, now I really want to know t if my qualification be too weak and insufficient to get an offer in a Phd in physics?(Hopefully, a university with ranking of physics at top 200 if this will affect the chance of getting a job in university?)

2)I didn't take the GRE because it is not required to have this in HK while initially it is the only place that I am planning to.

3)Please calm down. I never think or said that "applied" physics as no role in answer...at all!. What I mean is, as a applied researcher base on my own experience, very often you have to focus more on applied issue,e.g. in case of instrument, people focus on issue of signal enhancement;in case of green energy,people have to focus on the way to improve the efficency.Usually, Anwers always leads to further questions. And for my interest, I just want to learn and understand more about the physics behind but unfortunately with my limited ability, if I try to do so (may be leaving the efficiency behind and focus other interest physics questions), I don't have time or interested in caring the efficiency alone any more. In other words,perhaps I choose to study in PhD in physics but not engineering during PhD, please?

So now, after answering the above 3 questions, could anyone give me some guidance or advice regarding my question.(Any school?) Thanks.

It'sjustaname said:
So now, after answering the above 3 questions, could anyone give me some guidance or advice regarding my question.(Any school?) Thanks.

Nope. You neglected to indicate where you are in your first post (this is ALWAYS a crucial piece of info - we have people from all over the world, and neglecting such info is BAD!), and when you mentioned about the GRE, I automatically assumed that you were in the US or applying to schools in the US.

I have no knowledge of graduate admissions in HK.

Zz.

I understand your passion for physics and your desire to continue your education through a PhD program. It is commendable that you have been persistent in your pursuit of a PhD offer and have even considered alternative paths to achieve your goal.

Based on your background and qualifications, it may be challenging to gain admission to a PhD program in pure physics without a master's degree or GRE results. However, there are still options available to you.

One option is to apply for a master's program in physics first. This will give you the opportunity to strengthen your academic background and gain research experience in pure physics. After completing your master's, you can then apply for a PhD program with a stronger application.

Another option is to look for PhD programs that do not require a master's degree or GRE scores. These programs may be more competitive, but it is worth exploring and applying to them.

Additionally, you can also reach out to professors in your field of interest and inquire about potential research opportunities or positions in their lab. This will not only give you valuable research experience, but it may also increase your chances of being accepted into a PhD program.

In terms of specific schools to apply to, I recommend researching and considering programs that align with your research interests and have faculty members who share similar research interests. This will give you a better chance of finding a program that is a good fit for you.

Overall, while your qualifications may not be ideal for gaining admission to a PhD program in pure physics, there are still options available to you. Don't give up on your passion for physics and continue to pursue opportunities that will help you achieve your goals. Best of luck in your academic journey.

Related to Is there any school that I am qualify to apply?No GRE result or Master degree

1. What are the requirements for applying to a graduate program without GRE scores or a Master's degree?

Typically, graduate programs require applicants to have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution. However, some programs may waive the GRE requirement or consider applicants without a Master's degree on a case-by-case basis. It is best to check the specific requirements of the program you are interested in.

2. Can I still be accepted into a graduate program without GRE scores or a Master's degree?

Yes, it is possible to be accepted into a graduate program without meeting these requirements. Some programs may have alternative criteria for admission, such as work experience, research experience, or a strong undergraduate GPA. It is important to research the specific program and their admissions process.

3. Will not having a GRE score or Master's degree affect my chances of getting accepted?

It may affect your chances, but it ultimately depends on the admissions criteria of the specific program you are applying to. Some programs may place more weight on other aspects of your application, such as letters of recommendation, personal statement, and relevant experience.

4. Are there any specific schools that do not require GRE scores or a Master's degree for admission?

Yes, there are some schools that do not require GRE scores or a Master's degree for admission. These may include online or specialized programs, as well as some international universities. It is important to thoroughly research the admissions requirements of each school you are interested in.

5. Can I still apply for financial aid or scholarships without a GRE score or Master's degree?

Yes, you can still apply for financial aid and scholarships without meeting these requirements. However, some scholarships may have specific eligibility criteria, so it is important to research the requirements for each scholarship you are interested in. Additionally, some financial aid may be based on financial need rather than academic qualifications.