Is there a bug or a feature in the forum?

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses a hidden feature or bug in the forum's comment tags. The users debate whether it is a bug or a feature and suggest that it may be a problem with the forum's coding or a hack affecting the latex parser.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Or is it a "feature"? :frown:

Code:
There is /* something */ hidden here.

is displayed as

There is /* something */ hidden here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will use this next time I get the 10char thing! (Earlier I would put a bunch of spaces followed by a .)
Weird though...

Since / * * / are common comment tags I'm going to put forth that they're being commented out.

I agree with -Job-. And there doesn't seem to be any use of commenting out something in a thread where it's only visible in the source code. Since it's not entirely a bug (commenting is a feature in the language itself) I'd say it's just a mishandling of that tag by the forum.

Hurkyl, I thought that you were the forum bug, now that we got rid of the penguin...

hmmm it doesn't work with a clean vb, must be one of our hacks, maybe the latex parser is doing something weird.

Related to Is there a bug or a feature in the forum?

1. What is "Ack, forum bug"?

"Ack, forum bug" refers to a common error or issue that occurs on online forums, where users experience unexpected behaviors or glitches while using the platform.

2. How can I fix a "Ack, forum bug"?

The solution to fixing a "Ack, forum bug" depends on the specific bug or error you are experiencing. Some common solutions include clearing your browser's cache, trying a different browser, or reporting the bug to the forum's technical support team.

3. Can "Ack, forum bug" cause any harm to my computer or personal information?

In most cases, "Ack, forum bug" is a minor issue and does not pose any threat to your computer or personal information. However, it's always a good idea to practice safe internet habits and be cautious of any suspicious activity on the forum.

4. Is "Ack, forum bug" a common problem?

Yes, "Ack, forum bug" is a common issue that many forum users encounter. The frequency of these bugs can vary depending on the forum's software and how often it is updated or maintained.

5. Can I prevent "Ack, forum bug" from happening?

While you cannot always prevent "Ack, forum bug" from occurring, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of encountering these bugs. These include keeping your browser and computer software up to date, avoiding clicking on suspicious links, and reporting any issues to the forum's technical support team.