Feature request: Filter "New posts" feeds by forums

pines-demon
I still find that the lists "What's new", "New posts", "Hot threads" and so on, are ineffective feeds. There are many posts that are published a day and it is easy to miss the post that might be interesting. I would be great if we could filter the list by forum (quantum physics, classical physics and so on) if possible by subfilter's too. Filters on the level of the question would also be great (basic, intermediate, advanced) and also filters on favorite tags. What are tags for anyway?

Ideally I would like to have a user watchlist with a set of filters. But already having more filters would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
pines-demon said:
I would be great if we could filter the list by forum
I think we sort of already have this, no? When you go to one of those forums, the threads with the latest posts are at the top of the list, and are highlighted in bold...

And at the top of any forum there's a "Watch" button, and you get alerts when anyone posts in that forum.

Likes berkeman and BillTre
berkeman said:
I think we sort of already have this, no? When you go to one of those forums, the threads with the latest posts are at the top of the list, and are highlighted in bold...
That's true but it is kind of clunky. I was thinking of a list with all the new posts in order to catch what is going on in various forums at once.

Ibix said:
And at the top of any forum there's a "Watch" button, and you get alerts when anyone posts in that forum.
I did not know of this, thanks! I will try it, but I still think that a notification for each time that anybody post in one of the busy forums is not ideal.

Likes Ibix
If you double-click the little bell next to the search box you'll get a list of the things you have alerts about.

BillTre said:
If you double-click the little bell next to the search box you'll get a list of the things you have alerts about.
Like what? Can I have alerts on something aside from the subscribed threads/forums?

I am not looking for notifications but more on having a more curated feed on the on-going threads.

pines-demon said:
Like what? Can I have alerts on something aside from the subscribed threads/forums?

I am not looking for notifications but more on having a more curated feed on the on-going threads.

Have you tried “watched” under the “forums” tab?

IMG_0075.jpeg

Frabjous said:
Have you tried “watched” under the “forums” tab?
I just tried that. Here is what I see for watched forums:
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 15.11.34.png

This is kinda of what I am looking for but more expanded. I mean this just the same information I get from clicking "forums".

And by going to the "Watched tab" I see that the filters exist! However that only applies to unread threads that I am already following. Which means that this will be mostly empty. I want something that allows me to skim over on-going threads.
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 15.15.54.png

Why not allow to apply the filters to the "New Posts" feed?

Oh I think I got it. Instructions:

• Go to specific forums and click "Watch" (select no notifications).
  • Go to the "New Post" feed filters and select "Watched content"
  • Click "Save as default"
Thanks everybody.

Feature request: It would still be great to add prefix and tag filters to this. I still want to be able to have history topics in the feed without all the other content from the "Art, Music, History, and Linguistics" forum.

Likes Hill