Is Theoretical Physics the Right Career Path for Me?

In summary, the person is 14 years old and excels in maths and science in their year group. They have an interest in theoretical physics and are seeking advice on how to pursue it and what branches of theoretical physics exist. They also ask for recommendations on websites for higher level physics research. The responder suggests focusing on mathematics first and recommends a book by Serge Lang. They also mention that theoretical physics may not be what the person expects and provide a link for more information.
cyndanova
Hi, I'm 14 and am currently in Secondary Education. I excel in maths and science as a whole and am the best at both in my year group. From an early age I've been interested in Theoretical Physics. How should I pursue this, what branches of Theoretical Physics are there and will it be a good career path to follow? Also, does anyone know of any websites where I can research into higher level Physics than I do at school?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget physics for now. I think it is more important now to practice a lot of mathematics. Try to study things like algebra, trigonometry and geometry. Once you know this, you can do physics (algebra-based physics, that is, which you might find extremely boring).

A good book you should look at is "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. However, that book might be too advanced for you. I know I would find it too hard when I was 14. But perhaps it's nice to browse through it and see what things you know, and what things you need to catch up on.

Also, I will probably need to warn you that theoretical physics probably isn't is what you think it is. See https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is Theoretical Physics the Right Career Path for Me?

1. What career path should I choose for my future?

Choosing a career path is a personal decision that depends on your interests, strengths, and goals. It's important to research different options, speak to professionals in your desired field, and consider your own skills and values when making a decision.

2. How can I ensure job stability and success in my chosen field?

There is no guarantee of job stability or success in any field, but some steps you can take include staying up-to-date with industry developments, continuously learning and improving your skills, and building a strong network of contacts in your field.

3. Should I pursue higher education or gain work experience?

Both higher education and work experience have their benefits and can be valuable in different ways. Consider your career goals and what will best help you achieve them. Many careers may require a combination of education and experience.

4. How do I balance my personal and professional goals for my future?

Finding a balance between personal and professional goals is a common challenge. It's important to prioritize and set realistic expectations for yourself. Remember to make time for self-care and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

5. How can I overcome obstacles and challenges in my career path?

Obstacles and challenges are a natural part of any career path. It's important to stay resilient, stay open to learning and adapting, and seek support and guidance from mentors and colleagues. Remember to stay focused on your goals and never give up.