Is theoretical physics always computational?

In summary, the speaker expresses a strong interest in physics and math and prefers theoretical subjects over experimental ones. They mention that some problems in physics cannot be solved analytically and require programming skills. The speaker admits to not enjoying programming and not being very good at it, but wonders if it is necessary to be good at programming to be a theoretical physicist. The speaker also mentions that while programming skills can be useful, they primarily work on analytical problems and often rely on doing calculations by hand.
thephystudent
I'm interested a lot in physics and math like most people here and I believe I can say I'm also good at them. I'm also more attracted to theoretical, abstract subjects than experimental or more phenomenological physics. I heard that any "real world" diff eq. more complicated than the hydrogen atom can't be solved analytically so you have to do it with the computer.

Now, the probem is: I don't like programming and find it boring. I'm also not very good at it. Eventually I can write something that works, but it takes a lot of time and effort compared to the result and I have to look up errors on the internet all the time. Are there options to be a theoretical physicist without being good at programming or should I just face it and keep trying to improve my skills?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a whole lot of interesting things that can be discovered by doing numerical work, and you shouldn't shy away from getting your hands wet. For example, nearly all results in AdS/CFT are gotten numerically. Also, some programming skills will really help out your job prospects if you don't want to continue in academia for whatever reason (common reasons are not finding a job, and not wanting to be poor well into middle age).

That said, most of what I do is analytical. I do almost all my work by hand, which I have to because programs like Mathematica are incapable of doing it. Getting a result is a long and arduous process. A single sub-calculation could take a week or two. On my current project, I've already written about 150 pages of math, and I'd say I'm about halfway done.

Related to Is theoretical physics always computational?

1. What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict natural phenomena. It focuses on developing theories and concepts to understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. How is theoretical physics different from experimental physics?

Theoretical physics is primarily concerned with developing theories and mathematical models to explain natural phenomena, while experimental physics involves conducting experiments and collecting data to test and validate these theories.

3. Is computational work necessary in theoretical physics?

Yes, computational work is an essential component of theoretical physics. Theoretical physicists use computer simulations and mathematical calculations to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena.

4. Can theoretical physics theories be proven or disproven?

Theories in theoretical physics can never be proven with absolute certainty. However, they can be supported by evidence and experiments, or disproven if they are unable to explain or predict certain phenomena.

5. Is theoretical physics always computational?

No, theoretical physics does not always require computational work. Some theories can be developed purely through mathematical reasoning and do not require computer simulations. However, in many cases, computational methods are necessary to analyze and test theoretical predictions.