Is the Linear System inconsistent?

In summary, an inconsistent linear system is a set of equations with no solution. This can be determined by graphing the equations or using Gaussian elimination to see if the equations reduce to an impossible statement. This occurs when the equations are parallel or represent contradictory statements. A linear system can only be either consistent or inconsistent and an inconsistent system can be useful in identifying errors or indicating when a problem has no solution.
Mr.Tibbs
Hey guys, I'd assume that this will be a very easy answer. I need to clarify what is an inconsistent linear system. I've worked out my matrix and have achieved this form:

x+0y+z+0w=0
0x+0y+z+w=0
0x+0y+0z+w=0

I know that an inconsistent linear system has no solution i.e 0=1. This is throwing me off because of the y components being all zero which means I can make y what ever I want, but does this also make the system inconsistent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr.Tibbs said:
Hey guys, I'd assume that this will be a very easy answer. I need to clarify what is an inconsistent linear system. I've worked out my matrix and have achieved this form:

x+0y+z+0w=0
0x+0y+z+w=0
0x+0y+0z+w=0

I know that an inconsistent linear system has no solution i.e 0=1. This is throwing me off because of the y components being all zero which means I can make y what ever I want, but does this also make the system inconsistent?

x=y=z=w=0 is a solution. It will always be a solution when the RHS is all zeros. You have an infinite number of solutions, but it's not inconsistent. Inconsistent means no solutions.

Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Mr.Tibbs said:

x+0y+z+0w=0
0x+0y+z+w=0
0x+0y+0z+w=0

"Inconsistent" does not apply to homogeneous linear systems (where the right-hand-sides are all zero) because setting all variables = 0 *does* give a solution. No: "consistency" and its opposite are relevant when (some of the) right-hand sides are *nonzero*. For example, the system x = 0 and 2*x = 0 is perfectly consistent, but the system x = 1 and 2*x = 3 is inconsistent.

Related to Is the Linear System inconsistent?

1. What is an inconsistent linear system?

An inconsistent linear system is a set of equations with no solution. This means that the equations are contradictory and cannot be satisfied simultaneously.

2. How can you tell if a linear system is inconsistent?

A linear system is inconsistent if there is no solution, which can be determined by graphing the equations and seeing if they intersect at a single point or are parallel. Another way is to use Gaussian elimination to see if the equations reduce to an impossible statement, such as 0 = 1.

3. What causes a linear system to be inconsistent?

A linear system is inconsistent when there is no overlap or intersection between the equations. This can occur when the equations are parallel or when they represent contradictory statements.

4. Can a linear system be both consistent and inconsistent?

No, a linear system can only be either consistent or inconsistent. A consistent system has at least one solution, while an inconsistent system has no solution.

5. How can an inconsistent linear system be useful in real life?

Inconsistent linear systems can be useful in identifying errors or inconsistencies in data or measurements. They can also indicate when a problem has no solution, which can be important in certain applications such as optimization or decision-making processes.