How many 3x3 matrices can you find

In summary, the problem involves finding a matrix that can be multiplied with any vector to produce a vector with only the first component non-zero, which is the product of the first two components of the original vector. The attempt at a solution included creating two potential matrices, but the individual components of the matrix must be definite numbers and not variables. It is unclear whether there is a solution or if the matrix A is allowed to contain variables.
rofln

Homework Statement

j0fluJ9.png

My instructor wants to know if there are finite or infinite amount of solutions

Homework Equations

Matrix Multiplication

The Attempt at a Solution

I pretty much turned A into a 3x3 matrix like this...
| A11 A12 A13 |
| A21 A22 A23 |
| A31 A32 A33 |

and then multiplied it by the given matrix of x y and z.

After multiplying I found myself with 2 matrices that I think would fit the solution...

| y 0 0 |
| 0 0 0 |
| 0 0 0 |

and

| 0 x 0 |
| 0 0 0 |
| 0 0 0 |

The first matrix would correspond to xy + 0y + 0z
0x + 0y + 0z
0x + 0y + 0z
yielding the answer indicated by the question

and the second would correspond to 0x + xy + 0z
0x + 0y + 0z
0x + 0y + 0z
yielding the answered indicated by the question

However, I find myself second guessing myself. I think I have 2 solutions, but since x and y are variables, they could be any number, ergo have infinite matrices. I think I may be over complicating things or perhaps I am just incorrect. Pretty much my question is, am I correct or perhaps on the right track or just wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
rofln said:
After multiplying I found myself with 2 matrices that I think would fit the solution...

| y 0 0 |
| 0 0 0 |
| 0 0 0 |

and

| 0 x 0 |
| 0 0 0 |
| 0 0 0 |

This indeed doesn't work. You have to find a matrix that will work with any vector, and return a vector with only the first component non-zero, such that this component is the product of the first two components of the original vector.

Consider some specific choice(s) of x and y.

So working off of:

A11x + A12y + A13z
A21x + A22y + A23z
A31x + A32y + A33z

I should only be concerned with the first row? And in that first row I must somehow make it so it equals the desired result of xy? I feel like I've hit a brick wall on this problem. I do not understand how get from addition to multiplication. I have tried substituting random values for x and y trying to factor them out, but I feel like I am just shooting in the dark with that. Am I supposed to try to find some factor values and work off of those? I apologize if I am not grasping this quite well, this matrix stuff is new to me.

rofln said:
So working off of:

A11x + A12y + A13z
A21x + A22y + A23z
A31x + A32y + A33z

I should only be concerned with the first row? And in that first row I must somehow make it so it equals the desired result of xy? I feel like I've hit a brick wall on this problem. I do not understand how get from addition to multiplication. I have tried substituting random values for x and y trying to factor them out, but I feel like I am just shooting in the dark with that. Am I supposed to try to find some factor values and work off of those? I apologize if I am not grasping this quite well, this matrix stuff is new to me.

Yes, just think about the first row. The entries of the matrix A have to be definite numbers, not variables like x or y I would think. Have you considered that there may be no such matrix A? Or did that say that the matrix A is allowed to contain the variables x,y and z?

Last edited:

Related to How many 3x3 matrices can you find

1. How many 3x3 matrices can you find?

The number of 3x3 matrices that can be found is infinite. This is because there are infinite combinations of numbers that can be used to fill in the 9 slots of a 3x3 matrix.

2. Is there a formula for finding the number of 3x3 matrices?

Yes, there is a formula for finding the number of 3x3 matrices. It is n^9, where n is the number of possible values that can be used to fill in each slot of the matrix. For example, if only the numbers 1-9 can be used, then the formula would be 9^9.

3. Can you give an example of a 3x3 matrix?

Yes, an example of a 3x3 matrix is: [1 2 3][4 5 6][7 8 9]

4. Are there any restrictions on the numbers that can be used in a 3x3 matrix?

There are no specific restrictions on the numbers that can be used in a 3x3 matrix. However, depending on the context of the problem or experiment, there may be limitations on the range of numbers that can be used. For example, if the matrix represents a physical system, the numbers used may need to be within a certain range of values.

5. Can a 3x3 matrix have all the same numbers in each row or column?

Yes, a 3x3 matrix can have all the same numbers in each row or column. This would result in a matrix with the same number repeated in each slot, such as:[2 2 2][2 2 2][2 2 2]