Is the D.E. Solution Affected by the Presence of a Non-Homogeneous Term?

In summary, the determination of whether a system is under/over/critically damped is based on the size of b^2 compared to 4ac, and does not depend on R(x). The term "damped" refers to the homogeneous equation and not to R(x).
Darkmisc

Homework Statement

Let ay'' + by' +cy = R(x)

Determining whether a system is under/over/critically damped depends on the size of b^2 compared to 4ac.

Does it depend at all on R(x)?

Homework Equations

Characteristic equation, quadratic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found a general solution to a D.E. where b^2 < 4ac, and is therefore underdamped (if the D.E = 0)

However, I'm not sure if I can still conclude that the system is underdamped if the D.E. = R(x).

Physics news on Phys.org
Look after the definition of being under/over/critically damped.

ehild

Darkmisc said:

Homework Statement

Let ay'' + by' +cy = R(x)

Determining whether a system is under/over/critically damped depends on the size of b^2 compared to 4ac.

Does it depend at all on R(x)?
No, it does not. As ehild suggests, surely the definition of "under/over/critically damped" is given in your text?

Homework Equations

Characteristic equation, quadratic equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found a general solution to a D.E. where b^2 < 4ac, and is therefore underdamped (if the D.E = 0)

However, I'm not sure if I can still conclude that the system is underdamped if the D.E. = R(x).

Thanks. The defintion only referred to b^2 - 4ac without explicitly stating that R(x) was irrelevant to damping.

Related to Is the D.E. Solution Affected by the Presence of a Non-Homogeneous Term?

1. What is a differential equation (D.E.)?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena and physical systems.

2. How are D.E.s used in damped systems?

Differential equations are used in damped systems to describe the behavior of a system that is losing energy due to external forces, such as friction or air resistance. The equation helps to predict the motion of the system over time.

3. What is a damped system?

A damped system is a physical system that experiences a decrease in energy over time due to external forces. This can result in the system's motion or oscillations becoming smaller and eventually coming to a stop.

4. What are some examples of damped systems?

Some common examples of damped systems include a swinging pendulum, a car's suspension system, and a vibrating guitar string. In each of these cases, external forces cause the system's motion to decrease over time.

5. How are D.E.s solved in damped systems?

There are various techniques for solving differential equations in damped systems, such as using analytical methods or numerical methods. These methods take into account the initial conditions of the system and the external forces acting on it to determine the behavior of the system over time.