Higher order D.E. to linear system of 1st order D.E.'s

In summary, the conversation discusses transforming a system of differential equations into a first order system and determining the Jacobian matrix for the system. The correct transformation involves setting variables y_1 to y_5 equal to u, u', u'', v, and v', respectively. The derivatives for the Jacobian should be taken with respect to these variables, treating all variables as independent.
jjr

Homework Statement

[itex]\textbf{(a)}[/itex] This is an exercise from a course on numerical analysis.

Write the system of differential equations

[itex] u''' = x^2uu'' - uv' [/itex]

[itex] v'' = xvv' + 4u' [/itex]

as a first order system of differential equations, [itex] \textbf{y'} = \textbf{y}(x,\textbf{y})[/itex].

[itex]\textbf{(b)} [/itex] Determine the Jacobian matrix [itex] \textbf{f}_\textbf{y}(x,\textbf{y}) [/itex] for the system in (a).

Homework Equations

Form of Jacobian matrix:

[itex]
J =
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial{F_1}}{\partial{x_1}} & \cdots & \frac{\partial{F_1}}{\partial{x_n}} \\
\vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
\frac{\partial{F_m}}{\partial{x_1}} & \cdots & \frac{\partial{F_m}}{\partial{x_n}}
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I might have solved part (a) (I'm not quite sure to be honest), but I have a few problems in part b) that I need help with.

I know the canonical way of transforming a single d'th order D.E. into a system of first order D.E.'s, but was a bit confused when there were two equations. Here is what I did:

I let [itex] y_1 = u; y_2 = u'; y_3 = u''; y_4 = v; y_5 = v' [/itex], and thus

[itex] \frac{dy_1}{dx} = y_2; \frac{dy_2}{dx} = y_3; \frac{dy_3}{dx} = x^2y_1y_3 - y_1y_5; \frac{y_4}{dx} = y_5; \frac{dy_5}{dx} = xy_4y_5+4y_2[/itex]

Could this be the correct way to transform these equations?

As for b), referring to the matrix above, I reckon [itex] F_1 = \frac{dy_1}{dx} = y_2; F_2 = \frac{dy_2}{dx} = y_3 [/itex] and so on, whereas [itex] x_1 = y_1; x_2 = y_2 [/itex] and so on. Am I right here?

When I take the derivative of say [itex] y_2 [/itex] with respect to [itex] y_3 [/itex] is it zero or is there some implicit dependence on [itex] y_3 [/itex] in [itex] y_2 [/itex]? If there is not then it should be zero, and in fact most of the entries in the Jacobian should be zero?

Thanks,
J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jjr said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\textbf{(a)}[/itex] This is an exercise from a course on numerical analysis.

Write the system of differential equations

[itex] u''' = x^2uu'' - uv' [/itex]

[itex] v'' = xvv' + 4u' [/itex]

as a first order system of differential equations, [itex] \textbf{y'} = \textbf{y}(x,\textbf{y})[/itex].

[itex]\textbf{(b)} [/itex] Determine the Jacobian matrix [itex] \textbf{f}_\textbf{y}(x,\textbf{y}) [/itex] for the system in (a).

Homework Equations

Form of Jacobian matrix:

[itex]
J =
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial{F_1}}{\partial{x_1}} & \cdots & \frac{\partial{F_1}}{\partial{x_n}} \\
\vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
\frac{\partial{F_m}}{\partial{x_1}} & \cdots & \frac{\partial{F_m}}{\partial{x_n}}
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]
This is wrong. There is only a single variable "x", not "[itex]x_1[/itex]", "[itex]x_2[/itex]", etc. the derivatives should be with respect to [itex]y_1[/itex], [itex]y_2[/itex], etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I might have solved part (a) (I'm not quite sure to be honest), but I have a few problems in part b) that I need help with.

I know the canonical way of transforming a single d'th order D.E. into a system of first order D.E.'s, but was a bit confused when there were two equations. Here is what I did:

I let [itex] y_1 = u; y_2 = u'; y_3 = u''; y_4 = v; y_5 = v' [/itex], and thus

[itex] \frac{dy_1}{dx} = y_2; \frac{dy_2}{dx} = y_3; \frac{dy_3}{dx} = x^2y_1y_3 - y_1y_5; \frac{y_4}{dx} = y_5; \frac{dy_5}{dx} = xy_4y_5+4y_2[/itex]

Could this be the correct way to transform these equations?
Yes, that is correct.

As for b), referring to the matrix above, I reckon [itex] F_1 = \frac{dy_1}{dx} = y_2; F_2 = \frac{dy_2}{dx} = y_3 [/itex] and so on, whereas [itex] x_1 = y_1; x_2 = y_2 [/itex] and so on. Am I right here?

When I take the derivative of say [itex] y_2 [/itex] with respect to [itex] y_3 [/itex] is it zero or is there some implicit dependence on [itex] y_3 [/itex] in [itex] y_2 [/itex]? If there is not then it should be zero, and in fact most of the entries in the Jacobian should be zero?

Thanks,
J
For the purposes of the Jacobian, treat all variables, x and all of the various "y"s, as independent. That is, the derivative of [itex]y_2[/itex] with respect to [itex]y_3[/itex] is 0 while the derivative of [itex]x^2y_1y_2- y_1y_5[/itex] with respect to [itex]y_1[/itex] is [itex]x^2y_2- y_5[/itex].

That's excellent, thank you!

Related to Higher order D.E. to linear system of 1st order D.E.'s

1. What is the difference between a higher order differential equation and a linear system of first order differential equations?

A higher order differential equation involves derivatives of a dependent variable up to a certain order, while a linear system of first order differential equations involves multiple first order equations with multiple dependent variables.

2. How do you convert a higher order differential equation to a linear system of first order differential equations?

To convert a higher order differential equation to a linear system of first order differential equations, each derivative of the dependent variable can be considered as a new dependent variable, and the original equation can be rewritten in terms of these new variables.

3. Why is it useful to convert a higher order differential equation to a linear system of first order differential equations?

Converting a higher order differential equation to a linear system of first order differential equations can make it easier to solve, as first order equations are generally simpler to work with. It can also provide more insight into the behavior of the system and allow for better analysis.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to converting a higher order differential equation to a linear system of first order differential equations?

One potential limitation is that the resulting system may have a larger number of equations and variables, which can make it more complex to solve. Additionally, the process of converting the equation may not always be straightforward and may require certain assumptions or approximations.

5. Can the conversion of a higher order differential equation to a linear system of first order differential equations be applied to any type of equation?

In general, the conversion process can be applied to most types of higher order differential equations. However, it may not always be possible or practical to do so, especially for equations with complex or non-linear terms.