Is the 2006 edition of The Elegant Universe DVD worth the extra features?

• Thread starter liamgibbs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the DVD edition of the Elegant Universe has more interviews and extras than the 2006 edition, but the 2006 edition has a longer running time.
liamgibbs
I apologize if this is in the wrong subsection, but I figured it was a physics learning material.

Anyway, I've been reading the Elegant Universe, but found the Nova series quite helpful in understanding what the book is talking about. (I actually read part of the book, got confused, watched the series, and then went back to the book--helped clear a lot up).

I've been looking to buy the DVD set, but there are two editions: one from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000ZG0TA/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and one from http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C8STPI/?tag=pfamazon01-20. I don't know which one is more complete (which has more interviews/extras, etc). I've checked out Amazon, but haven't found any comparison in the DVD details (there's no running time, though it gives a good run-through of the chapters). IMDB gives a running time, and the 2006 one has a lot more, but then on Wikipedia, it describes an interpretive dance (?), and I'm wondering if this is the 2006 edition. Anyway, is there any recommendation? Does the 2006 edition miss anything that the 2004 edition has?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
All I can remember from it is Brian Greene is obsessed with himself and duplicates his body in every scene about 17 times lol. I would go with the 2006 if your not sure.

Brian Greene's Elegant Universe. Very interesting discussion in the beginning with Newton's bucket. After that, crap.

This is the book though, the movie I didn't make it past five minutes.

I want to see Brian do interpretive dance. :-p

Evo said:
I want to see Brian do interpretive dance. :-p

he'd probably enjoy himself...

I mean look, the guy is on to something...Anyone heard of Gemunu Gunaratne? Probably not. He's just a run-of-the-mill physics professor. Brian Greene, however, has learned that you need to add LIFE and SPIRIT to what you're doing to be "famous" and make a name for yourself. You have to stand out.
Look at all of the ones that stand out:
Brian Greene, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Michio Kaku, Brian Cox. You've heard of them. They write books. They make more MONEY.
Sure, Brian Greene may be a shameless self promoter, but he probably rakes in a good chunk of change!

Related to Is the 2006 edition of The Elegant Universe DVD worth the extra features?

1. What is "The Elegant Universe DVD" about?

"The Elegant Universe DVD" is a documentary series based on the book "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" by physicist Brian Greene. It explores the concepts of string theory and the search for a unified theory of physics.

2. Who is Brian Greene?

Brian Greene is a theoretical physicist and professor at Columbia University. He is known for his work in string theory and has written several popular science books, including "The Elegant Universe". He also hosts the "The Elegant Universe" documentary series and has made numerous appearances on TV and radio shows.

3. Is "The Elegant Universe DVD" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, "The Elegant Universe DVD" is designed to be accessible to a general audience. While it does cover complex scientific concepts, it uses visual aids and analogies to help viewers understand the material. It is a great resource for anyone interested in learning more about modern physics and the search for a unified theory.

4. How many episodes are included in "The Elegant Universe DVD"?

There are three episodes in "The Elegant Universe DVD", each approximately one hour long. The first episode, "Einstein's Dream", introduces viewers to the basics of relativity and the concept of spacetime. The second episode, "String's the Thing", delves into the world of string theory. The final episode, "Welcome to the 11th Dimension", discusses the search for a unified theory and the idea of multiple dimensions.

5. Can "The Elegant Universe DVD" be used as a learning tool for students?

Yes, "The Elegant Universe DVD" can be a great supplement to learning about physics and string theory. It presents complex concepts in an engaging and visually appealing way, making it easier for students to grasp the material. However, it should not be the sole source of information and should be used in conjunction with other resources.