Is Taking Three Math Courses in One Semester a Good Idea for a Math Major?

In summary: Then I think you'll do fine. One thing though is that you should figure out the level of the probability class. It is very possible to make probability theory very technical and proofy. This course would typically see probability theory in terms of measure theory. On the other hand, it might be that won't use any measure theory. If it doesn't, you should be ok. If it does, then you will want to take analysis first and it's not a good idea to take probability now.
ian8
Hi all,

I was thinking what I should take in the spring as a math major I was thinking of taking Abstract Algebra, Probability (calculus based), and geometry, as well as General physics 1, could anyone give me some advice is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
ian8 said:
Hi all,

I was thinking what I should take in the spring as a math major I was thinking of taking Abstract Algebra, Probability (calculus based), and geometry, as well as General physics 1, could anyone give me some advice is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Do you not have an academic advisor to ask this very question?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you not have an academic advisor to ask this very question?

Zz.
Yes I do but she is never available.

ian8 said:
Yes I do but she is never available.

Go to your department office and request someone to talk to. Otherwise, inform the chair of the dept. that you are not getting the advice that you need.

Zz.

ian8 said:
Hi all,

Please:
1) List the contents of the courses
2) List the knowledge you have
3) List the workload you're used to.

micromass said:
Please:
1) List the contents of the courses
2) List the knowledge you have
3) List the workload you're used to.
1)probability course description
An introduction to probability. Topics include mathematical models, sample spaces, conditional probability, discrete and continuous distributions, expected values, moment-generating functions, Central Limit Theorem, multivariate distributions, marginal distributions, conditional distributions, correlation, and one-variable transformations of variables.
Abstract Algebra
An introduction to groups, rings, integral domains and fields. Additional topics include groups of symmetries, rings of integers, rings of polynomials and construction of the field of rational numbers.
Geometry
Both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries are studied. Each geometry will be understood from three different perspectives: first, as the collection of theorems following from a particular set of axioms; second, as the two-dimensional geometry arising from a particular metric; and third, as the geometry obtained from a set together with a specific group of rigid motions of the set. At least one of these viewpoints will be developed in detail.
2) Have taken Calculus 1-3,Number Theory,Discrete Math (intro proofs course),Linear Algebra
3) I'm used to mostly taking two math courses per semester however I need to take more 300 level math courses and geometry I hear is supposed to be easy mostly math ed majors.

How comfortable are you with proofs? Was the LA course proof based? How did you do with proofs in number theory and discrete math?

micromass said:
How comfortable are you with proofs? Was the LA course proof based? How did you do with proofs in number theory and discrete math?
I did relatively well in the proofs in those courses I feel I'm comfortable with proofs. LA course was proofs based I did well in proofs in number theory and discrete math.

ian8 said:
I did relatively well in the proofs in those courses I feel I'm comfortable with proofs. LA course was proofs based I did well in proofs in number theory and discrete math.

Then I think you'll do fine. One thing though is that you should figure out the level of the probability class. It is very possible to make probability theory very technical and proofy. This course would typically see probability theory in terms of measure theory. On the other hand, it might be that won't use any measure theory. If it doesn't, you should be ok. If it does, then you will want to take analysis first and it's not a good idea to take probability now.

Related to Is Taking Three Math Courses in One Semester a Good Idea for a Math Major?

1. What are the three math courses offered in one semester?

The three math courses offered in one semester can vary depending on the specific university or institution. However, common courses include Calculus, Algebra, and Statistics.

2. How many credits do these three math courses typically have?

The number of credits for each math course can also vary. On average, Calculus and Algebra courses have 3-4 credits each, while Statistics courses typically have 4-5 credits. This means that taking all three courses in one semester would result in 10-13 credits.

3. Is it recommended to take all three math courses in one semester?

This depends on the individual's academic abilities and workload. Some students may find it manageable to take all three courses in one semester, while others may struggle with the workload. It is important to consider your own abilities and workload before making this decision.

4. Are there any prerequisites for these math courses?

Most universities or institutions will have prerequisites for math courses, especially for higher-level courses like Calculus. These prerequisites may include previous math courses or placement tests. It is important to check with your institution to see if you meet the prerequisites for the math courses you are interested in taking.

5. How can I succeed in all three math courses in one semester?

To succeed in all three math courses in one semester, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make sure to attend all lectures and seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Practice regularly and stay on top of assignments and exams. It may also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to review material and work on problem-solving together.