Is Taking Both the Math and Physics GRE Worthwhile for a Math Physics Degree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking both the physics and math GRE exams for the purpose of graduate school admissions. While some believe it may make one more competitive, others argue that it may be a waste of time and it is better to focus on excelling in one exam. It is suggested to consult with the specific department being applied to for their preferred exam.
r4nd0m
Has anyone done this?

I'm a physics major and I'd like to pursue a degree in mathematical physics. I guess that physics GRE is expected from me as a physics student, although actually I feel much more comfortable in math.

Do you think that it would be hard to make both? Would it make me more competitive if I scored well in both - or at least in one, or is it just a waste of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
GRE exams are only taken in order to be accepted into grad schools aren't they; that is, there is no real benefit of taking them? I don't see the point in taking both: you should check with the department you are applying to, but as a rule of thumb I'd say that if you were applying to a maths department you'd take the math GRE and if applying to a physics department you'd take the physics GRE (of course there are bound to be exceptions).

I second cristo. If you're pursuing Math Physics, you might impress the admissions board with good scores in both GRE's. But it's probably a better idea to take the time you would have spent on studying for the Math GRE and apply it to getting an even better score on the Physics GRE.

Related to Is Taking Both the Math and Physics GRE Worthwhile for a Math Physics Degree?

1. What is the format of the GRE in both Math and Physics?

The GRE in both Math and Physics consists of multiple-choice questions, with some questions requiring you to select one answer, and others requiring you to select multiple answers. There are also a few questions that ask you to enter a numerical answer.

2. How long is the GRE in both Math and Physics?

The GRE in both Math and Physics is a 2-hour and 50-minute long exam. This includes a 10-minute break in the middle of the exam, as well as a short tutorial at the beginning. However, you may be required to stay longer if you are taking the paper-based version of the exam.

3. What topics are covered in the GRE in both Math and Physics?

The GRE in both Math and Physics covers a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is recommended that you review all undergraduate-level math and physics concepts before taking the exam.

4. Is there a calculator allowed on the GRE in both Math and Physics?

No, calculators are not allowed on the GRE in both Math and Physics. However, you will be provided with a basic on-screen calculator for some questions.

5. How is the GRE in both Math and Physics scored?

The GRE in both Math and Physics is scored on a scale of 130-170 for each section, with a total possible score of 260-340. Your score will be based on the number of questions you answer correctly, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. Additionally, your score report will also include a percentile rank, which indicates how you performed compared to other test-takers.