Is taking a long break before starting graduate school a potential disadvantage?

In summary, a graduate student who takes 5-6 years off between undergraduate and graduate study may have a problem getting a position in academia if they want to become a nuclear trained officer.
anonymity
I made a post a day or two ago, but got no responses. This post is a simplification.

How long is too long to take off in between undergraduate study and graduate study?

I want to join the navy as a nuclear trained officer, but this would entail a 5-6 year obligation. Could this amount of time away from academia be a potential problem for a graduate student?

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymity said:
I made a post a day or two ago, but got no responses. This post is a simplification.

How long is too long to take off in between undergraduate study and graduate study?

I want to join the navy as a nuclear trained officer, but this would entail a 5-6 year obligation. Could this amount of time away from academia be a potential problem for a graduate student?

I graduated with my bachelor's degree in 2006; I will be starting grad school in physics this fall (2011). :smile:

what have you been doing since 2006?

anonymity said:
what have you been doing since 2006?

Marriage, kid, follow my better half around the country, post-doc to post-doc until we finally settled someplace semi-permanently. And I worked, too, as an accountant.

Woo. Things may not be so bleak after all.

There's no way that you remember everything you learned, though...you know? Aren't you at all concerned about this?

Jumping right into some advanced analysis or combinatorics (or, if you're not going to be studying math, something equally specialized) after doing nothing but basic accounting mathematics for six years just doesn't seem practical to me, or is this something I shouldn't be concerned about?

My time in the navy will be largely non-technical. I will be in a class-room setting learning all of the basic nuclear propulsion theory for 18 months or so, but the rest of my time will be as a line-officer on a sub, not as an engineer, in the technical sense, but as an officer overseeing the sub and the sub's reactors and the crew.

(Congrats, too, old man Geezer -- five years late, but hey, what can you do? lol).

Anyone else?

Related to Is taking a long break before starting graduate school a potential disadvantage?

What are the benefits of taking time off before starting graduate school?

Taking time off before starting graduate school allows individuals to gain real-world experience, potentially earn money to pay for graduate school, and develop a clearer understanding of their career goals.

Will taking time off before grad school hurt my chances of getting accepted?

No, taking time off before grad school will not hurt your chances of getting accepted. In fact, many graduate programs value applicants who have taken time off to gain real-world experience and develop a better understanding of their career goals.

How do I explain the gap in my academic history to potential graduate schools?

Be honest and transparent in explaining the reasons for taking time off before grad school. Emphasize the skills and experiences you gained during this time and how they have prepared you for graduate studies.

Is it possible to continue gaining research experience during my time off before grad school?

Yes, it is possible to continue gaining research experience during your time off before grad school. You can seek out research assistant positions, internships, or volunteer opportunities in your field of interest.

Can taking time off before grad school help me avoid burnout?

Yes, taking time off before grad school can help prevent burnout. Graduate school can be intense and demanding, and having some time to relax and recharge can help prevent burnout and improve overall academic performance.