Is Taking a Gap Year a Good Idea for Math-Focused Students?

In summary, the speaker is a current senior in undergraduate school who is planning to apply to physics grad school in the future. They are considering taking time off to explore other options like engineering and teaching. They are concerned about forgetting their math skills if they take time off and are seeking advice. One suggestion given is to practice doing physics problems using a textbook like Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics.
pinkfishegg
Hello,

I am currently in my senior year as an undergraduate and plan to apply to physics grad school in a year or two. I feel like taking some time off would help me become more focused and I don't have money to take the physics gre, or to apply for grad school. I also want to explore other options like engineering and teaching high school and need some time to think and explore. For example, tutoring high school might tell me if I'd like teaching high school and becoming a process engineer might tell me if I'd like a different field of engineering. My main issue is I'm afraid I'll forget all the math I learned if I take some time off. Should I practice doing physics problems? Has anyone here taken time off and can you give me advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked in industry for a year between undergrad and grad. I took night courses that year.

pinkfishegg said:
Should I practice doing physics problems?

Arnold's Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics is a classic that will keep your mind sharp on both the math and the physics if it's at the right level for you. Just one example though. There are many great books out there.

Related to Is Taking a Gap Year a Good Idea for Math-Focused Students?

1. What is a gap year?

A gap year is typically a year-long break taken by students after completing high school or before starting college. It is intended to give students time to explore their interests, gain new experiences, and gain a better understanding of themselves before committing to a college or career path.

2. Is it beneficial to practice math during a gap year?

Yes, practicing math during a gap year can be highly beneficial. It can help students maintain their math skills and build a strong foundation for future math courses. Additionally, having a strong math background can open up more opportunities for internships or research opportunities during the gap year.

3. How can I practice math during a gap year?

There are many ways to practice math during a gap year. You can take online courses or enroll in a math program at a local community college. You can also join study groups or find a math tutor to help you stay on track. Additionally, there are many math resources available online, such as practice problems, videos, and interactive games.

4. Will practicing math during a gap year make me better at it?

Yes, practicing math during a gap year can definitely make you better at it. Regular practice can improve your problem-solving skills, increase your speed and accuracy, and help you understand concepts more deeply. Additionally, practicing math during a gap year can boost your confidence and make math seem less intimidating.

5. Can practicing math during a gap year help with college applications?

Yes, practicing math during a gap year can definitely help with college applications. It can show admissions officers that you are dedicated to learning and improving your skills, even during a break from traditional academics. It can also make you stand out among other applicants and potentially open up more scholarship opportunities.