Is Studying for the GRE Chemistry Exam Worth It?

In summary, the speaker is a Junior Chemistry Undergraduate at UofA who has decided to apply for chemistry graduate school after completing their undergraduate studies. They have been advised by other graduate students to take the GRE Chemistry exam and are seeking advice on how to prepare for it. The speaker has already taken organic and analytical chemistry and is currently taking inorganic chemistry, with plans to take physical chemistry in the future. They are also considering taking a GRE prep class from Kaplan over the summer. The speaker is seeking insightful advice from others and expresses concern about the job market for organic chemists.
DOH-WLcat
Hi everyone,
I am currently a Junior Chemistry Undergraduate at UofA. I already made my decision that I want to apply for chemistry graduate school after I graduate from my undergraduate study. Based on several good discussions with other graduate students at my school, they all told me to take the GRE Chemistry exam. My questions for you guys are: [1] How did you guys study for this exam? [2] Any good prep books for me to buy and study for this exam? The top two books are the Princeton Review NEW GRE CHEM and the REA GRE CHEM PREP. Are there any other good books? Right now, I already taken organic chemistry and analytical chemistry. I am currently taking inorganic chemistry and planning to take physical chemistry next year [Fall 2012]. I am planning to pay the GRE prep class from Kaplan over the summer. Based on my personal information, I really want insightful advises from you guys.
Peace,
DOH-WLcat

Physics news on Phys.org
Just be careful how you tread and what field you go into. Organic is a field that is in absolute peril right now and many organic chemists are finding themselves unemployed or leaving science all together.

Related to Is Studying for the GRE Chemistry Exam Worth It?

1. What are the benefits of attending graduate school for chemistry?

Attending graduate school for chemistry offers several benefits, such as furthering your knowledge and skills in the field, gaining hands-on research experience, and increasing your job opportunities in academia and industry. Additionally, graduate school allows you to specialize in a particular area of chemistry and potentially earn a higher salary.

2. What are the requirements for admission into a chemistry graduate program?

The requirements for admission into a chemistry graduate program vary by institution but generally include a minimum GPA of 3.0, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require previous research experience or a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field.

3. How long does it take to complete a chemistry graduate program?

The length of a chemistry graduate program can vary depending on the type of degree you are pursuing and your individual progress. On average, a Master's degree takes 2-3 years to complete while a Ph.D. can take 5-6 years. However, this timeline can be extended if you are completing a research thesis or have other commitments outside of your studies.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific research focus before applying to chemistry graduate school?

While having a clear research focus can strengthen your application, it is not always necessary to have a specific research topic in mind before applying to chemistry graduate school. Many programs allow students to explore different research areas and choose a focus later on in their studies. However, it is important to have a general interest in chemistry and a willingness to explore different research opportunities.

5. How can I fund my chemistry graduate studies?

There are several options for funding your chemistry graduate studies, including scholarships, grants, teaching or research assistantships, and student loans. Many universities also offer financial aid packages for graduate students. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early on in the application process to increase your chances of receiving financial support.