Is Scientific Computing by Heath Worthwhile for Engineers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of a book for engineers and whether it is worth purchasing for a course. The book covers a variety of topics in scientific computing, optimization, and differential equations. The speaker suggests comparing it with other resources before making a purchase.
cronxeh
Gold Member
I'm wondering whether I should enroll in this course. This is the book they use:

Did anyone ever use this book? If so let me know if there's anything worthy in it for engineers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
$126 new for an "introductory survey" that is "light on details" seems steep to this old dog. Of course if the course requires it, and you decide to take the course, you're stuck. Evaluate that course carefully; what do they teach you that you can't get in other courses? Could you study this on your own (and buy a used copy of the book, maybe last year's edition)?

well I found table of contents:

1 Scientific Computing
2 Systems of Linear Equations
3 Linear Least Squares
4 Eigenvalues Problems
5 Nonlinear Equations
6 Optimization
7 Interpolation
8 Numerical Integration and Differentiation
9 Initial Value Problems for ODEs
10 Boundary Value Problems for ODEs
11 Partial Differential Equations
12 Fast Fourier Transform
13 Random Numbers and Simulation

I guess it might be useful for any engineer

Seems to cover quite a bit of field ... just hope not too introductory, got some unfortunate buys in my shelf which have been just that. But if its solid sure has some interesting & useful stuff within, just try to make sure before buying.

Before you buy, compare it with the Numerical Recipes line of books: see http://www.nr.com/.

Related to Is Scientific Computing by Heath Worthwhile for Engineers?

1. What is Scientific Computing by Heath?

Scientific Computing by Heath is a book written by Dr. Michael T. Heath that serves as an introduction to numerical methods and scientific computing. It covers topics such as error analysis, linear systems, interpolation, integration, and more, using MATLAB as the primary programming language.

2. Who is the author of Scientific Computing by Heath?

The author of Scientific Computing by Heath is Dr. Michael T. Heath, a Professor of Computer Science and Mathematics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He has extensive experience in numerical analysis and scientific computing, and has authored several books and numerous research articles in the field.

3. What is the target audience for Scientific Computing by Heath?

The target audience for Scientific Computing by Heath is undergraduate and graduate students in engineering, mathematics, and the sciences. It is also suitable for professionals in these fields who are looking to improve their understanding and skills in numerical methods and scientific computing.

4. Does Scientific Computing by Heath require prior programming experience?

No, Scientific Computing by Heath does not require prior programming experience. However, basic knowledge of programming concepts and familiarity with MATLAB can be helpful in understanding the material.

5. Are there any accompanying resources for Scientific Computing by Heath?

Yes, there are accompanying resources for Scientific Computing by Heath, including MATLAB codes, lecture slides, and additional exercises and projects. These resources can be accessed through the book's website or the publisher's website.