Is Quitting Grad School Over a Research Setback Justifiable?

In summary, the conversation is about a graduate student who has been working on a research problem for 3 months. They thought they had solved the problem and wrote up a manuscript but later found an error that cannot be fixed. This has caused them to feel frustrated and doubtful about continuing graduate school. Others in the conversation reassure them that making mistakes is a normal part of the learning process and offer their own experiences with similar situations. The student comes to the realization that they need to be more organized and careful in their work and that making mistakes does not make them stupid. The conversation ends with the reminder that even the brightest people make mistakes and it's important to learn from them.
hanson
Hi all..
I am now a first-year graduate student in engineering.
I have been working on a research problem for 3 months.
I thought that I have solved the problem recently and wrote up a manuscript and was ready to submit that.
However, suddenly, I found an error with my work and it cannot be fixed. A stupid error I made in the very beginning of the research...
I feel so frustrated and shameful and start to doubt whether i should continue graduate school...

Anyone has similar experience to share..?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the club.

Move on, there is nothing to see.

I agree, this isn't all that uncommon.

You can't expect all research to go perfectly - especially when you're still a student. Also, the error could not have been that stupid, otherwise your supervisor should have picked up on it as soon as he/she saw it. Be glad that you found the error now and not, say, on the night before your defence.

Choppy said:
I agree, this isn't all that uncommon.

You can't expect all research to go perfectly - especially when you're still a student. Also, the error could not have been that stupid, otherwise your supervisor should have picked up on it as soon as he/she saw it. Be glad that you found the error now and not, say, on the night before your defence.

I feel like I am so stupid...

The mistake is really stupid...i can gaurantee...
My advisor did not notice this probably because he trust me and he didn't read every step...so...

sigh..

What, 2+ 2 isn't equal to 5?

I had the same experience doing an undergraduate research project, where a too-good-to-be-true result turned out, as I was starting to finish everything up, to be untrue. C'est la vie.

Did you learn something from the experience?

It's all part of the learning process.

will.c said:
I had the same experience doing an undergraduate research project, where a too-good-to-be-true result turned out, as I was starting to finish everything up, to be untrue. C'est la vie.

Did you learn something from the experience?

I learn..that i have to be more organized and be more careful...

and i also learn that i am quite stupid..~.~

Oh this stuff happens. I once had probability greater than one and didn't notice it until 2 weeks later when a friend of mine says, it all makes sense until here (the 5th equation i wrote.) Sometimes you have lapse in judgement. Get up start again and hope for the best.

hanson said:
and i also learn that i am quite stupid..~.~

As long as you are aware of the fact, there is still hope.

World history is fully of silly mistakes made by very bright people. Why should you be different? Note, the worst thing you can do is to try and hide this mistake or try and fudge some results--that's partly why world finance is in such a mess! (Look at all the silly mistakes made there!)

Mistakes are a *very* good part of the learning process. And if the worst happens? I once messed up a backup procedure, which resulted in me not having my contract renewed--instead I got a much better job! And I never messed up backups again! And I never again worried so much if I made other mistakes (which I did). Have a chat with your supervisor. Even if the mistake was as daft as 2+2=5 he should laugh if off with you--otherwise he's the one at fault.

We're all "quite stupid", as Socrates pointed out...

Thanks all for the replies...
I feel better after reading these..

Borek said:
As long as you are aware of the fact, there is still hope.

hope for what?

Related to Is Quitting Grad School Over a Research Setback Justifiable?

What is a graduate student?

A graduate student is a student who has completed their undergraduate studies and is pursuing a higher level of education, typically a master's degree or a PhD.

Why might a graduate student feel frustrated?

There are many reasons why a graduate student may feel frustrated. Some common reasons include struggling with coursework, difficulty balancing academic and personal responsibilities, feeling overwhelmed by research or thesis requirements, and financial stress.

What can a graduate student do to alleviate frustration?

There are several things a graduate student can do to alleviate frustration. These include seeking support from peers or a mentor, taking breaks and practicing self-care, breaking down tasks into smaller, more manageable goals, and seeking help from professors or academic advisors.

How can a graduate student manage their time effectively?

Time management is crucial for graduate students to avoid frustration. Some effective strategies include creating a schedule or to-do list, prioritizing tasks, setting realistic goals, and avoiding procrastination.

What resources are available for graduate students struggling with frustration?

Most universities have resources available for graduate students, such as counseling services, academic support centers, and workshops on time management and stress management. Graduate student associations and online communities can also be a valuable source of support and advice.