Is Pursuing a Physics PhD at 40 Too Late?

In summary, the conversation is about the disadvantages of starting a physics PhD at an older age in Chile, South America. The speaker has a Masters degree in physics and one publication, but faces discrimination due to their age. They are seeking suggestions on how to get accepted into a PhD program without a scholarship and if a part-time PhD is possible. The speaker has been studying for four years, with a one-year gap due to an accident. Their publication was in 2013 and they have experience teaching various subjects in physics.
PeteSampras
I know of infinites disadvantages of started a physics phd at my age.

I tried, but do not take me by my age...Chile, sudamerica. I have a Msc physics an one publication about brane world. At Chile , in my opinion exist very discourse about non discrimination, but there is much discrimination ...

But

that I can do to get accepted into a phd? ¿without scholarship??, ¿¿some suggestion? , ¿¿some country where i could be take account ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A PhD part time? I have never heard of this before.

there is only a idea...Phd a complete time also is my idea...

How long was it that you finished your masters? How long was it that you made your publication? And what did you do in the meanwhile. Those are very important questions.

in my study I took a lot 4 years, 2009-2012 ... I had misfortune of an accident, I was out one year...

My publication is from 2013...physical review D

Meanwhile i have professor of Mechanics, Electroagnetism, Thermodinamics,General Physics...

Last edited:

Related to Is Pursuing a Physics PhD at 40 Too Late?

1. Can I pursue a physics PhD at 40 years old?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a physics PhD at 40 years old. Age is not a barrier for pursuing higher education and many people choose to pursue a PhD later in life.

2. Will my age affect my chances of being accepted into a physics PhD program?

Your age will not affect your chances of being accepted into a physics PhD program. Admissions committees focus on your academic achievements, research experience, and potential for success in the program, regardless of age.

3. Is it too late to start a career in physics at 40 years old?

No, it is not too late to start a career in physics at 40 years old. Many successful physicists have started their careers later in life and have made significant contributions to the field.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to younger students in a physics PhD program?

No, you will not be at a disadvantage compared to younger students in a physics PhD program. Your age and life experiences may even give you a unique perspective and advantage in your research and academic pursuits.

5. How long will it take to complete a physics PhD at 40 years old?

The length of time it takes to complete a physics PhD at 40 years old will vary depending on the program and your individual circumstances. On average, it can take 4-6 years to complete a PhD in physics, but this may be shorter or longer depending on your research progress and other factors.