Is my whole physics career a joke?

In summary, the speaker relied on outside resources and memorization to achieve good grades in physics classes, but now questions whether they are cut out for physics due to their lack of passion and dedication to the subject. They also mention the importance of balancing other aspects of life while pursuing a career in physics. However, they are unsure if their approach to learning physics will translate to success in the field of research.
MPKU
Throughout my undergrad career I relied on help from others, the internet, and the teachers allowing us to use equation sheets during examinations. I received all A's in my upper level physics classes, and B's in the introduction classes (which I used Yahoo answers for almost every homework problem, and figured out how to actually do the problems only a week before the exam). This was an approach I used for my upper level courses too. I hardly read any of the textbooks. I found the solutions to the problems, and then studied how to do those problems, memorized equations, and learned the bare minimum for the tests.

I feel I cheated myself. I'm still doing this in graduate school. Most of my peers also follow this behavior, obviously a bit less in graduate school (or at least they are not as public about it).

I would commit more time to it, but I don't believe physics is my entire life. I know there is the argument that if I'm going to graduate school than it should be what I am passionate about, what I do in my free time.. but I find so much beauty in everything it is hard to devote ALL of my time to studying it.

I like being active, socializing, taking care of myself spiritually, emotionally, physically. Many of those I see in the physics department seem to be lacking in this, in one category or another. I get it. To be truly AMAZING at something you must devote and obsess over it. I can't bring myself to do this.

Am I not cut out for physics? What do I make of this?

Confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eh, plenty of physicists I know have lives outside work. Kids, hobbies. Perhaps less so in grad school, but you've got to have some coping mechanisms to make it through. All physics all the time is a way to burn out.

In addition, performance in classes for learning physics does not neccesarily predict how good you are at doing physics. How are you at research?

However, I think that the most important aspect for being a successful physicist is being able to problem solve, and classes are where you begin to develop that skill. So if you don't develop your skills in classes, where all problems actually have neat solutions, you'll be in a world of pain in real physics, where not only does nobody know how to solve the problem yet, and the solution might be messy, the solution might not actually exist in the first place.

Likes smashueatu

Related to Is my whole physics career a joke?

1. What makes a physics career seem like a joke?

A physics career may seem like a joke to some individuals because the concepts and theories can be difficult to comprehend and may seem "unreal" or abstract. Additionally, there may be a perceived lack of practical application in everyday life.

2. Is a physics career worth pursuing if it is often seen as a joke?

Absolutely. While some may view it as a joke, physics is a fundamental science that has contributed greatly to our understanding of the world and has led to countless technological advancements. A career in physics can be challenging and rewarding, and it allows individuals to explore the mysteries of the universe.

3. Are there any job opportunities for those with a physics degree?

Yes, there are many job opportunities for individuals with a physics degree. Besides traditional academic and research positions, physics graduates can also find employment in industries such as engineering, finance, and technology. The problem-solving skills and analytical thinking learned in a physics career are highly valued in many fields.

4. How can I deal with the pressure of feeling like my physics career is a joke?

It's essential to remember that everyone's opinion is subjective, and just because some may view physics as a joke does not diminish its importance or value. It can also be helpful to surround yourself with supportive individuals and engage in discussions with other scientists who share your passion for physics. Remember why you chose this career path and the impact it can have on the world.

5. How can I make my physics career more meaningful and less like a joke?

One way to make your physics career feel more meaningful is to find ways to apply your knowledge to real-world problems and challenges. This could involve collaborating with other disciplines, pursuing interdisciplinary research, or seeking out opportunities for outreach and education. Additionally, finding a supportive community and engaging in ongoing learning and growth can help combat feelings of doubt or frustration.