Is material Science & Engineering more science than engineering?

In summary, Materials Science and Engineering is a broad discipline that combines theory and application in designing and analyzing materials at various scales. This field is involved in a wide range of industries, such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare, and offers opportunities to work on diverse projects involving different materials and technologies. With the use of advanced tools and simulations, materials scientists and engineers are constantly pushing the boundaries of material capabilities and finding new applications for them.
Toonation
I'm double majoring in Chemistry / Materials Science & Engineering undergrad and I'm wandering yes it has engineering in the title but it also has Science as well. Is this engineering say more theory based than others? I read descriptions saying it designs metal alloys and everything like that. I'm assuming this field is big into nano technologies too. I'm just at a loss at what a person with a MatSci degree would actually be doing. I mean my Chemistry advisor told me you can work for IBM, intel, NASA and stuff like that but also having work like helicopter blades etc. However that just seems a bit broad for me I would like information on what exactly do you do and if there's a lot of theory in it. Like yes you're designing new materials so hypothetically will I be the person that's say designing a material to use for motherboards cpus/gpus then a Computer Engineer puts it together or something like that? I mean my Engineering advisor told me that I made a good choice but I do want other opinions :(.

I mean picked MatSci over Chemical Engineering because it seems a lot more interesting.

Also some advice would really help me xD
Idk maybe with a bigger picture I can see it for myself I guess listing what I like someone would interject here and recommend something else? ( ik this is a bit more than a simple question).
-I like math and calculus
-I like more theory based areas in science
-I like chemistry because it deals with elements and particles.
^^ (Although I wish I can take particle physics classes at some point the problem is yes, I like learning about electron entanglement and all that stuff from YouTube lectures (esp. Leonard Susskind's) but I hear the job market for physics is bad. I mean what would a degree in higher energy physics get you? A teaching job? Maybe so CERN research hear and there?)
-I like computers and I've even "built" or more like assembled my own computer.

I have a lot of stuff going on in this post I hope you the reader don't mind I'm just over thinking atm xD

Physics news on Phys.org
One asks some good questions.

Materials Science and Engineering is a broad discipline, as are other branches of engineering. It combines theory and application, perhaps with different degrees of mix according to the problem or challenge being addressed. Such a problem might be designing/selecting a material system, analyzing/predicting a materials performance, analyzing performance or failure, etc.

Design or analysis of a material can encompass a broad range of scales. MSE folks can employ studies/analysis at the atomistic level (angstroms) up to a large scale cm to m or 10s of m.

Large scale analysis may involve continuum mechanics/dynamics based on empirical models. Those empirical models are often based on large (laboratory) scale experiment, however they can be improved/supplemented by mesoscale or atomistically informed experiments and models/simulations, particularly for materials in high temperature or high stress environments.

For example, in gas turbines of jet engines or power plants, in rocket propulsion or in other power systems, one deals with creep of the high temperature material, so understanding creep as it relates to atomic diffusion or dislocation movement requires an atomistic understanding of the material/alloy system. Protective coatings for corrosion mitigation or corrosion behavior requires an atomistic understanding of the interaction of the protective/passive coating between the environment and material/alloy system.

Materials scientists and engineers are using tools like Density Functional/Phase Field Theory (DFT/PFT) and Molecular Dynamics (MD) to better understand material behavior, and then employing improved models/simulations using computational physics in finite element/volume analyses.

Last edited:
Toonation said:
I'm just at a loss at what a person with a MatSci degree would actually be doing.

I have an B.Eng in Materials Science and am currently doing a PhD in materials, so I have come across loads of people doing loads of different things,
Metallurgist I have met work on (for example):
* Alloying making in bulk alloys like steel and aluminium
* Ni-based super alloys for single-crystal plane engine blades
* Corrosion of pipelines and nuclear waste storage
* coatings to prevent high temperature oxidation in PWR nuclear plants
* work on Ti-implants for biomaterials (heart stents, etc)
* rare Earth magnets

Functional materials
* piezoelectric and magnetostrictive projects
* bioglasses
* investment casting shells
* Hydrogen storage
* superconductive elements
* fuel cells
*photovoltaics

Polymers
* All sorts of interesting things with PEI/PEEK mixtures
* bulk polymer manufacture
* sensors

On top of this I know a lot of people who do Finite element modelling on systems like casting and functional ceramics

materials engineering is rad and there are lots of different projects.

Likes 1 person
Thank you guys I have a better understanding of it. So my thought of it seeming broad is true which isn't a bad thing that means you'd have a lot of stuff to do xD

As a scientist in the field of Materials Science and Engineering, I can say that this field is a combination of both science and engineering. While it does have "engineering" in the title, it is still rooted in scientific principles and theories. In fact, many materials scientists and engineers use their knowledge of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to design and create new materials with specific properties and applications.

In terms of whether it is more theory-based than other engineering fields, I would say it depends on the specific research or job you are doing. Some may involve more theoretical calculations and modeling, while others may be more hands-on and practical. However, in general, there is a strong emphasis on understanding the fundamental principles behind the materials and their behavior.

As for what a person with a MatSci degree would do, the possibilities are endless. You could work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, energy, healthcare, and more. You could be involved in developing new materials for specific applications, improving existing materials, or even working on cutting-edge research in nanotechnology.

In terms of designing materials for specific uses, it is often a collaborative effort between materials scientists and engineers. While materials scientists may design the material itself, engineers may be responsible for incorporating it into a larger system or product.

As for your interests in math, theory-based science, chemistry, and computers, Materials Science and Engineering seems like a perfect fit. It combines all of these areas and allows for a diverse range of opportunities in your career.

My advice would be to continue exploring the field and gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects. This will give you a better understanding of what a career in Materials Science and Engineering entails and help you decide if it is the right path for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek guidance from professionals in the field. Good luck!

Related to Is material Science & Engineering more science than engineering?

1. Is material Science & Engineering more science than engineering?

Material Science & Engineering is a combination of both science and engineering. While it heavily relies on scientific principles and theories, it also involves the practical application and design of materials, making it a balanced blend of both fields.

2. What is the main focus of material Science & Engineering?

The main focus of material Science & Engineering is the study of the properties, structure, and design of materials. This includes understanding how materials behave under different conditions and how to manipulate their properties for specific applications.

3. What are some examples of materials studied in material Science & Engineering?

Materials such as metals, ceramics, polymers, composites, and semiconductors are commonly studied in material Science & Engineering. These materials have different properties and applications, making them important subjects for research and development.

4. Can material Science & Engineering contribute to other scientific fields?

Yes, material Science & Engineering can contribute to other scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology. The study and understanding of materials play a crucial role in advancing these fields and facilitating the development of new technologies.

5. What career opportunities are available for material Science & Engineering graduates?

Material Science & Engineering graduates can pursue careers in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, healthcare, and renewable energy. They can work as materials engineers, research scientists, product developers, and more, utilizing their knowledge to improve existing materials or create new ones to meet the demands of modern society.