Is Joining a Student Chapter of a Professional Organization Worth It?

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    professional
In summary, joining organizations such as the AIAA can have benefits for students, as seen through the experience of being a student member of IEEE. However, the value of actively participating in a local chapter at one's school may not be as significant, as it may not be recognized by employers or graduate schools. This is based on personal experience.
Angry Citizen
I'm curious about my school's local chapter of the AIAA. However, I'm not sure whether it's worth the time commitment to join. What is PF's opinion on the value of organizations such as these?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was once a student member of IEEE.

Basically, the student membership was affordable and it had lots of benefits (Discount on Wiley books, Microsoft MSDN access, monthly magazine, and others).

So joining such an organization is not a bad idea, but being an active member of the local chapter at your college is different, the way I see it, a waste of time and no one will really care about it (be it employers or grad school). I am saying this from personal experience.

Related to Is Joining a Student Chapter of a Professional Organization Worth It?

1. What is a professional organization?

A professional organization is a group of individuals who share a common profession or field of work. These organizations aim to support and advance their members' careers by offering networking opportunities, professional development resources, and advocacy for the profession.

2. Why should I join a professional organization?

Joining a professional organization can provide numerous benefits, such as networking opportunities, access to industry updates and trends, professional development resources, and a sense of community. It can also enhance your resume and credibility within your field.

3. How do I find a professional organization related to my field?

There are various ways to find a professional organization in your field, such as doing an online search, asking colleagues or mentors for recommendations, attending industry conferences or events, or checking with your university or employer for any affiliated organizations.

4. Are there membership fees for professional organizations?

Yes, most professional organizations require members to pay a fee for membership. This fee may vary depending on the organization and can sometimes be waived for students or early-career professionals.

5. Can I attend events or conferences hosted by professional organizations if I am not a member?

Some professional organizations allow non-members to attend their events or conferences for a fee. However, becoming a member may provide additional benefits, such as discounted event fees and access to member-exclusive resources.