Is it possible to learn Physics Maths without suffering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding and working with mathematical concepts in physics papers, especially for those who have been away from math for a long time. It is suggested that at least a basic understanding of calculus is necessary to comprehend these papers, and that it may take several months to achieve this understanding. The speakers also recommend studying other math tools and resources, such as MIT calculus lectures.
ThunderLight
I'm reading Physics papers, and every time I open a paper, all I see is maths and symbols I never seen before and it's just all too overwhelming! For someone who's been away from maths for a long time due to different careers, how would they ever come to understand this maths?

It seems so natural and flows like a language by itself.
Where should this person start if they need to start understanding and working with maths like a spoken language?

Most difficulty is in imagining what the formulas are trying to say in the first place. Like, what is a partial derivative in english language? what are you doing exactly? Things like that..

What's the best way (not in many years hopefully) to start speaking and understanding the language of Physics Mathematics in a few months?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that you can do that.For principles of physics, likes kinematics,,Newtonian Laws,Rotation,Electromagnetisim (first year of physics).You need at least minimum calculus up to integrals.And you can learn all of them in 5-6 months maybe more, depends on the effort (In uni all this took 7 months ) .Just math is not enough to understand the main idea of the concept you have to also understand "physics" stuff.If you want to learn more stuff you need to study more calculus some other math tools, which can take year or more to understand it.Which physics papers are more about complex stuff so you need to learn a lot
( I assume physics papers mean articles)
If you want to really learn and undertand then I think these things are necessery.

MIT calculus lectures I think great If you want to start from somewhere

Likes ThunderLight and fresh_42
Arman777 said:
I don't think that you can do that.For principles of physics, likes kinematics,,Newtonian Laws,Rotation,Electromagnetisim (first year of physics).You need at least minimum calculus up to integrals.And you can learn all of them in 5-6 months maybe more, depends on the effort (In uni all this took 7 months ) .Just math is not enough to understand the main idea of the concept you have to also understand "physics" stuff.If you want to learn more stuff you need to study more calculus some other math tools, which can take year or more to understand it.Which physics papers are more about complex stuff so you need to learn a lot
( I assume physics papers mean articles)
If you want to really learn and undertand then I think these things are necessery.

MIT calculus lectures I think great If you want to start from somewhere

Thank you. Yes I'm speaking about Physics research papers. 70% complex mathematics and 30% english with mathematical symbols:)
I guess I will start with MIT calculus and hope things go smoothly.

Appreciate your advice.

Related to Is it possible to learn Physics Maths without suffering?

1. Can anyone learn Physics and Maths without struggling?

Yes, with the right approach and resources, anyone can learn Physics and Maths without struggling. It may take more effort for some individuals compared to others, but it is definitely achievable.

2. How can I make learning Physics and Maths less daunting?

Breaking down complicated concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces can make learning Physics and Maths less daunting. Additionally, using visual aids and practicing regularly can also help to reduce the difficulty.

3. Is it possible to enjoy learning Physics and Maths?

Yes, it is possible to enjoy learning Physics and Maths. These subjects can be fascinating and rewarding once you start to understand and apply the concepts. Finding a study method that works for you and seeking help when needed can also make the process more enjoyable.

4. Can online resources help with learning Physics and Maths?

Absolutely. Online resources such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems can be valuable tools for learning Physics and Maths. These resources can provide additional explanations and examples that may not be available in traditional textbooks.

5. How important is practice when learning Physics and Maths?

Practice is crucial for learning Physics and Maths. These subjects require understanding and application of concepts, which can only be developed through consistent practice. It is important to not only solve problems but also to reflect on any mistakes and learn from them.