Is Harvey Mudd's General Engineering program enough for a career in Aerospace?

In summary: General Engineering degrees in general?I would say that a General Engineering degree from a top tier school would give you a good foundation for a career in Aerospace, but it's really dependent on the professor you have. Some professors at top tier schools are better prepared than others forjobs in Aerospace.
Johnx014
I am compiling a list of schools to apply to once I finish my lower-division coursework at Community College. Harvey Mudd is among the schools I am considering. I know Harvey Mudd is highly-regarded and their engineering program is ranked number 1 among schools where a master's degree is the highest offered. My only concern is that they do not offer specializations. My goal is to work in Aerospace; I'm concerned that a program in General Engineering would not properly prepare me for a job in that field. Does anyone have experience with engineering at Harvey Mudd? General Engineering degrees in general?

The engineering courses offered at Harvey Mudd
https://www.hmc.edu/engineering/curriculum/courses/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Johnx014!

I'm not familiar with Harvey Mudd, but I have been in 2 universities for Electrical Engineering (as a transfer), and have quite a few friends that decided to go into engineering. I would suggest you look at Universities that offer Mechanical or Electrical engineering if you are interested in Aerospace. I have NOT noticed a big difference between the quality of education from top tier schools and the local public university, given they have an ABET accredited engineering program. I have noticed, however, that larger research universities tend to attract more companies and make internships easier to land. They also provide great research opportunities that aren't always available at lesser known, or smaller schools. This is not to say that any school will provide the same education, but that the education is really dependent on the professors available at that school.

Do you have a specific geographical location in interest?

Specialization is not that important at the undergraduate level. I have always thought Harvey Mudd's approach was preferable to the standard selection of engineering programs that most other universities offer. You'll specialize once you land your first job.

CupOfNoodles said:
Hi Johnx014!

I'm not familiar with Harvey Mudd, but I have been in 2 universities for Electrical Engineering (as a transfer), and have quite a few friends that decided to go into engineering. I would suggest you look at Universities that offer Mechanical or Electrical engineering if you are interested in Aerospace. I have NOT noticed a big difference between the quality of education from top tier schools and the local public university, given they have an ABET accredited engineering program. I have noticed, however, that larger research universities tend to attract more companies and make internships easier to land. They also provide great research opportunities that aren't always available at lesser known, or smaller schools. This is not to say that any school will provide the same education, but that the education is really dependent on the professors available at that school.

Do you have a specific geographical location in interest?

I'm in California, so I'm looking at UCs mostly. I'll definitely be applying to UCB, UCLA, UCSB, and UCSD. All of those schools have either Aerospace or Mechanical. The other schools I'm currently investigating and considering are Harvey Mudd, Cal Poly SLO, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, UT Austin, Texas A&M, and a few others.

Related to Is Harvey Mudd's General Engineering program enough for a career in Aerospace?

1. What is a general engineering degree?

A general engineering degree is a broad field of study that covers a range of engineering disciplines, such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. It provides a foundation in the fundamental principles of engineering and allows students to explore different areas of engineering before specializing in a specific field.

2. What are the job prospects for someone with a general engineering degree?

The job prospects for someone with a general engineering degree are excellent. Graduates can work in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, technology, and consulting. They may also pursue careers in research and development, project management, or entrepreneurship.

3. Can I specialize in a specific engineering field with a general engineering degree?

Yes, many universities offer a general engineering degree as a stepping stone to more specialized programs. Students can choose to focus on a specific engineering discipline during their degree or pursue advanced studies in a particular area after graduation.

4. What skills will I develop with a general engineering degree?

A general engineering degree equips students with a range of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, teamwork, and project management. It also provides a solid foundation in math, science, and technical knowledge, which are essential for success in any engineering field.

5. Is a general engineering degree a good choice for someone who is not sure which engineering field they want to pursue?

Yes, a general engineering degree is an excellent choice for someone who is undecided about which engineering field to specialize in. It allows students to explore different areas of engineering and gain a broad understanding of the discipline before making a decision. It also provides a diverse skill set that can be applied to various engineering careers.