Is a Minor Required for My Physics Degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minor
In summary, a minor is not required for the physics major, but some colleges may have different requirements or allow for double majors. The purpose of a minor is to expand one's knowledge base and have a diverse education. It is important to check with your advisor or college's course catalog for specific requirements and options for obtaining a minor. Some schools may have stricter requirements for obtaining a minor, while others may allow for overlapping classes to fulfill the minor's requirements.
leroyjenkens
My major is physics, and I haven't chosen a minor, but is one required? I would probably choose Chinese as my minor, but in my degree evaluation, it just lists the requirements for my major. I have a section called "free electives" and only upper level classes will fill that section, so most of the Chinese classes wouldn't fill that section, they would just count as extra classes that I took that don't count towards the degree.
So again, is a minor required? And what's the point of having one if it doesn't count towards the degree?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A Minor is absolutely NOT required. People generally take a minor to fill class slots each year and expand their knowledge base, but it is by no means necessary.

Some colleges might require you to declare a minor, although I don't remember hearing about any. Check your college's website or printed catalog to make sure.

I didn't have one myself, but I double-majored in physics and math, which (together with my gen ed requirements) pretty much filled up my schedule. I had room for a few odds and ends like an extra German course and one on the history of the English language.

You need to check with your college. At my school, a minor is required for some majors. Not for physics, though. I think the point is to have a more diverse education.

Ask your advisor or consult your college's course catalog. At some schools, it can be tricky to obtain a minor; at others, it isn't possible to graduate without one.

Our school requires a minor. But, taking the math classes in our physics program is more than enough to fulfill the math minor requirement.

Related to Is a Minor Required for My Physics Degree?

1. Do I have to have a minor?

No, having a minor is not a requirement for all majors. It depends on the specific program and university requirements.

2. Will having a minor benefit my career?

Having a minor can provide additional knowledge and skills that may be useful in your career. It can also make you stand out in the job market.

3. How many credits do I need for a minor?

The number of credits required for a minor varies depending on the university and program. It can range from 15-21 credits.

4. Can I have more than one minor?

Yes, you can have multiple minors. However, it is important to consider the workload and ensure that you can handle the additional coursework.

5. Can I change my minor?

Yes, you can change your minor, but it may affect your graduation timeline. It is important to consult with your advisor before making any changes.