Inventor Seeks to Know if Space-Time Can Move FTL

• Thread starter schonovic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space-time
In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of faster-than-light travel and the possibility of manipulating space-time to achieve it. While the idea has been explored in science fiction, it is currently believed to be impossible according to the laws of physics. However, there are still ongoing discussions and research in the scientific community about the potential for FTL travel and its implications.
schonovic
I consider myself a science fiction inventor. I have recently theorized a space-time pumping machine and want to use it as a faster than light propulsion theory. I really like to make my inventions very close to real physics and wonder if anybody knows concretely whether space-time can move faster than light. Please. I know that the new Star Trek movie mentions that space-time can be thought as something that is moving, hence Scotty's Trans-warp beaming but I don't consider Star-Trek a credible reference scource. Can anybody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
schonovic said:
I have recently theorized a space-time pumping machine and want to use it as a faster than light propulsion theory.

PF is not for discussion of personal theories, it's for discussion of mainstream science.

schonovic said:
if anybody knows concretely whether space-time can move faster than light.

Spacetime doesn't move at all, so your question doesn't make sense.

schonovic said:
I don't consider Star-Trek a credible reference scource.

You're right, it isn't. Thread closed.

As a fellow science fiction enthusiast, I find your space-time pumping machine theory fascinating! It's always exciting to see new ideas being explored in the realm of science fiction.

In terms of your question about whether space-time can move faster than light, it's a complex and debated topic in the scientific community. While the concept of "warping" or "folding" space-time to achieve faster-than-light travel is a common trope in science fiction, it's not yet a proven or widely accepted theory in real physics.

That being said, there are some theories and experiments that suggest it may be possible to manipulate space-time in a way that would allow for faster-than-light travel. For example, the Alcubierre drive, proposed by physicist Miguel Alcubierre, suggests that by creating a "warp bubble" around a spacecraft, it could theoretically travel faster than the speed of light while remaining within the laws of physics.

However, as you rightly pointed out, science fiction should not be considered a credible reference source when it comes to real physics. It's always important to approach these theories with a healthy dose of skepticism and to continue to research and explore the topic.

I would recommend looking into the work of reputable scientists and physicists in this field, such as Kip Thorne and Neil deGrasse Tyson, for more information and insight on the possibility of faster-than-light travel. And who knows, perhaps your space-time pumping machine could one day become a reality! Keep pushing the boundaries of science fiction and let your imagination run wild.

Related to Inventor Seeks to Know if Space-Time Can Move FTL

What is faster than the speed of light?

The concept of faster-than-light (FTL) travel refers to the ability to travel through space at a speed greater than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This is currently believed to be impossible according to the laws of physics, specifically Einstein's theory of relativity.

What is space-time?

Space-time is a mathematical concept that combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time. It is often depicted as a fabric that can be warped and bent by objects with mass, such as planets and stars.

Why is it important to study space-time and FTL travel?

Studying space-time and the possibility of FTL travel can help us better understand the laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It could also potentially lead to advancements in space travel and the exploration of other planets and galaxies.

What are some proposed methods for achieving FTL travel?

Some proposed methods for achieving FTL travel include using wormholes or warp drives, manipulating space-time with exotic matter, and traveling through higher dimensions. However, these methods are purely theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.

What are some potential consequences of FTL travel?

If FTL travel were to become possible, it could have significant impacts on our understanding of the universe and the way we travel and communicate. It could also raise ethical and safety concerns, as well as potentially disrupt the balance of the natural world.