Intersellar - NY Times article on its science

In summary, David Overby's _Out There_ column in the New York Times discusses the physics of _Interstellar_ and its reception by various audiences. The article, found on page D1 of the print edition, delves into the disconnect between science and story in the film, but also highlights its message of the importance of family over grandiose ideas. Overall, the article offers an interesting perspective on the film and its themes.
diogenesNY
Today's _Out There_ column ( in the New York Times) by David Overby takes a look at the physics of _Interstellar_ and the reception thereof by various audiences.

Interesting article. It can be found on page D1 of the print edition.

Links- (One is the article's formal permalink, the other is a cut'n'paste from the web page... belt and suspenders):

http://nyti.ms/1t5jmPi

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/s...he-cinema-of-physicists.html?ref=science&_r=0

Enjoy,
diogenesNY

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting article, I posted a thread on the book too. There's always a disconnect between the science and the story due to compression of events into a two hour format that can't be helped. So I look at it for what it is and enjoy the special effects as shown.

I can't wait to see the movie,

I agree with Overbye that the 5 dimensional beings could be the ones that put the monoliths in 2001. But I don't think it is cheating. I think Interstellar is in part a reaction to the mysticism of 2001. Interstellar's message is, as Overbye says, "I'd rather stay at home". But home is not a specific location, it is family. Interstellar does argue for grand ideas like fundamental research and space exploration, but it argues against grandiose ideas like saving the human race or whatever the ending of 2001 means.

Related to Intersellar - NY Times article on its science

1. What is "Intersellar" about?

"Intersellar" is a science fiction film directed by Christopher Nolan that follows a group of astronauts as they travel through a wormhole to find a new habitable planet for humanity.

2. Is the concept of a wormhole scientifically accurate?

The concept of a wormhole is a theoretical concept in the field of physics. While there is evidence to suggest that wormholes could exist, they have not been proven to be real. Therefore, the depiction of wormholes in "Intersellar" is based on scientific theories and is not entirely accurate.

3. How scientifically accurate is the depiction of space travel in the film?

The depiction of space travel in "Intersellar" is largely based on scientific concepts and theories, but there are also some artistic liberties taken for the sake of storytelling. Overall, the film presents a realistic portrayal of space travel, taking into account concepts such as gravitational time dilation and the effects of gravity on human physiology.

4. Can humans really survive on other planets like the ones shown in the film?

The planets shown in "Intersellar" are based on real exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system) that have been discovered by scientists. While the film takes some creative liberties, it is possible that some of these planets could potentially support human life. However, the technology and resources needed to actually travel to and colonize these planets are currently beyond our capabilities.

5. What impact did "Intersellar" have on the scientific community?

"Intersellar" sparked discussions and debates among scientists about the scientific accuracy of the film and the possibility of interstellar travel. It also brought attention to real scientific concepts and theories that were depicted in the film. Overall, "Intersellar" helped to generate interest and curiosity about space and the possibilities of future space exploration.