Internships in statistics/biostatistics for graduate students

In summary, the speaker is a graduate student in applied mathematics and statistics looking for summer internships or REU opportunities in biostatistics or statistics. They have found options at Mayo Clinic and the Census Bureau, as well as a list of REUs on the NSF website. They have a strong background in mathematics and statistics, including experience in coding theory and proficiency in SAS and R. They are also bilingual in English and Spanish. They are seeking any suggestions or comments, and a possible resource is provided from the American Statistical Association's website.
spazemonokee
I would like to strengthen my resume/CV, so I am searching for summer internships for graduate students in applied math/statistics/biostatics (preferably the latter two). Another option that I'm considering is participating in an REU as a graduate teaching assistant.
The internships that I have found so far are: Mayo clinic (biostatistics) and the Census Bureau (statistics). I have also found a list of REU's on the NSF website. None of them really post any openings for graduate student assistants.

A little bit about myself. I'm a graduate student in applied mathematics and statistics (my program is interdisciplinary). By next summer, I will have three years of graduate coursework in math and statistics. I will start doing research in biostatistics next school year. As an undergraduate I majored in math and I did an summer REU in coding theory. I have taken a range of courses including numerical analysis, ode/pde, analysis, regression, categorical data, algebra, probability, statistical inference, longitudinal data, linear algebra, model selection. I am familiar with SAS and R. I'm also bilingual (English and Spanish).

Any comments or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are a graduate student in statistics, you might want to take a look at the following link from the American Statistical Association (ASA) website:

http://www.amstat.org/education/internships.cfm

The links present a mixture of undergraduate (REU), masters and PhD level internship forr statistics and biostatistics opportunities in a wide range of companies and organizations, e.g. in pharmaceutical and biotech companies and teaching hospitals (for biostatistics students).

Related to Internships in statistics/biostatistics for graduate students

1. What is an internship in statistics/biostatistics for graduate students?

An internship in statistics/biostatistics for graduate students is a professional work experience in which graduate students gain hands-on experience in the field of statistics or biostatistics. It typically involves working on real-world projects under the supervision of experienced statisticians, and can be either paid or unpaid.

2. Why should I consider doing an internship in statistics/biostatistics?

Internships in statistics/biostatistics provide valuable practical experience that can enhance your academic learning and make you more competitive in the job market. They also allow you to network with professionals in the field and gain insight into potential career paths.

3. How do I find an internship in statistics/biostatistics?

There are several ways to find internships in statistics/biostatistics. You can search online job boards, attend career fairs, network with professionals in the field, or reach out to companies or organizations directly. Your university's career center or department may also have resources or connections to help you find an internship.

4. What skills do I need to have to be successful in an internship in statistics/biostatistics?

To be successful in an internship in statistics/biostatistics, it is important to have a strong foundation in statistical methods and data analysis. Proficiency in programming languages such as R or SAS may also be required. Good communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are also valuable in this field.

5. Can internships in statistics/biostatistics lead to full-time job opportunities?

Yes, internships in statistics/biostatistics can often lead to full-time job opportunities. Many companies use internships as a way to identify and recruit talented individuals for permanent positions. It is important to make a good impression during your internship and maintain a professional network to increase your chances of landing a job after graduation.