Internship at the Perimeter Institute

In summary, I think PI is a great place for an undergraduate to intern, but you would have to make a great impression on someone to get in.
IRobot
Hi, I am currently studying fundamental physics at University Paris 6 as an undergraduate (accomplishing my 4th year). I have to make an intership for 3months next summer, and I would like to it in theoretical physics (already did one in an experimental lab and i would like to see the other side)

So, recently i have seen a documentary on bbc about cosmology, in which most of the speakers where from PI. It sounds mindless but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place; and would love to go there meet interesting people and learn physics. So my point is: do they accept undergraduate students for internship? I looked for this information on their site but beside summer schools, haven't found anything.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure they don't take undergrads for internships. I'm not saying they won't, but you would have to make a fantastic impression on someone to get in there.

I believe that they might possibly take internships from the University of Waterloo, which is affiliated with Perimeter Institute. Yes, PI is a fantastic place considering their research capacity will double with its new, magnificent expansion.

Last edited:
How can you enjoy the atmosphere of a place when you've never been to perimeter instutute at all? This doesn't make sense. Unless i misread and you've actually been to PI instead of watching it in a documentary, you have not experienced the atmosphere.

Like this http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Scientific/Applications/Undergraduate/ ?

I wanted to apply last year but didn't like any of their available topics.

less LQG more string next time plx

I'm surprised, I thought superstring theory would displace LQG in research opportunities, this is probably due to Lee Smolin and superstring theory's lack of progress in the last few years.

I have known a number of undergrads that have done summer internships at PI, it is a really interesting place if you are into really obscure theoretical physics. If not, at least the design and architecture of the building is really interesting.

Thank you for the link negru, even if it's still empty of proposition, I will keep an eye on.
I think I am going to ask some of my theoretical teaches that might now it, maybe that have my answer.Btw, I totally agree with you AndersonMD, the architecture seems really intertaining. ;)

Related to Internship at the Perimeter Institute

What is the Perimeter Institute?

The Perimeter Institute is an independent research institute located in Waterloo, Canada. It focuses on theoretical physics, mathematics, and cosmology.

What is the purpose of an internship at the Perimeter Institute?

An internship at the Perimeter Institute provides students with the opportunity to work closely with world-renowned scientists on cutting-edge research projects. It also offers valuable hands-on experience in a professional research environment.

Who is eligible for an internship at the Perimeter Institute?

Undergraduate and graduate students from around the world are eligible for internships at the Perimeter Institute. However, preference is given to students who are pursuing degrees in physics, mathematics, or a related field.

What is the duration of an internship at the Perimeter Institute?

Internships at the Perimeter Institute typically last for 12 to 16 weeks during the summer months. However, some internships may also be available during the fall or winter terms.

How do I apply for an internship at the Perimeter Institute?

Interested students can apply for internships at the Perimeter Institute through their online application system. The application typically requires a resume, academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation. The deadline for applications is usually in the early spring.