Interference Maxima and Newton's Rings (Please help with trig)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radii of interference maxima for circular interference patterns caused by an air film between a lens and a flat glass plate. The equation 2L = (m + 1/2) λ is used, and the relation d = R(1-cosθ) is derived, with θ being the top angle formed by R and the normal line to the glass surfaces. This is used to solve for the radii r, assuming r/R <<1.
mm2424

Homework Statement

A lens with radius of curvature R sits on a flat glass plate and is illuminated from above by light with wavelength λ (see picture below). Circular interference patterns, Newton's Rings, are seen when viewed from above. They are associated with variable thickness d of the air film between the lens and the plate. Find the radii r of the interference maxima assuming r/R <<1.

Homework Equations

2L = (m + 1/2) λ

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that we will use 2L = (m + 1/2) λ here. However, I can't figure out how we relate d to R or r. I have my professor's answer key, and he defines θ as the top angle in the picture (formed by R and the normal line to the glass surfaces). He then says that r/R = sinθ which equals θ. Then, he says d = R(1-cosθ) and uses the expansion of cosθ = 1 - θ^2/2 + θ^4/4!, etc.

I can't wrap my head around how he found d = R(1-cosθ). If someone can help me see it, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

Attachments

• curved glass plate.jpg
    curved glass plate.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 596
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mm2424! :smile:
mm2424 said:
I can't wrap my head around how he found d = R(1-cosθ).

shift that little arrow to the middle of the picture …

it's the gap between the arc (of the circle) and the triangle …

= R - Rcosθ :wink:

I'm still missing something, haha. I'm not sure what you mean by shift the arrow to the middle of the picture, and I'm not clear on where Rcosθ comes from. Is it some type of trig relationship involving arcs?

mm2424 said:
… I'm not clear on where Rcosθ comes from.

you have a right-angled triangle with hypotenuse R and top angle θ …

so the vertical side has length Rcosθ :smile:

It seems that your professor is using the small angle approximation for trigonometric functions, where for small angles θ, sinθ ≈ θ and cosθ ≈ 1. This is commonly used in physics and engineering problems to simplify calculations.

In this case, since r/R << 1, we can assume that θ is a small angle. Using the definition of θ as the top angle in the picture, we can see that θ is also equal to the angle between the normal line and the line connecting the center of the lens and the center of the interference pattern.

Now, for a small angle θ, the length of the chord connecting the two points on the circle is approximately equal to the arc length between those points. In this case, the arc length is d, and the chord length is R(1-cosθ). Therefore, we can write d = R(1-cosθ).

I hope this helps you understand how your professor arrived at this equation. Remember, the small angle approximation is only valid for small angles, so make sure to check if it is applicable in other problems.

Related to Interference Maxima and Newton's Rings (Please help with trig)

1. What is the concept of interference maxima and Newton's rings?

Interference maxima and Newton's rings are phenomena that occur when light waves interact with each other or with a surface, leading to the formation of bright and dark fringes or rings. This is caused by the superposition of light waves with different phases.

2. How do interference maxima and Newton's rings relate to each other?

Interference maxima and Newton's rings are both examples of interference patterns. Interference maxima occur when light waves interact with each other, while Newton's rings occur when light waves interact with a thin film of air trapped between two surfaces.

3. How is trigonometry used to understand interference maxima and Newton's rings?

Trigonometry is used to calculate the path difference between the interfering light waves, which determines whether interference maxima or minima will occur. In the case of Newton's rings, trigonometry is also used to calculate the thickness of the air film between the surfaces.

4. Can interference maxima and Newton's rings occur with any type of light?

Yes, interference maxima and Newton's rings can occur with any type of light, as long as it is coherent. This means that the light waves have a constant phase relationship with each other. Laser light is commonly used in experiments involving interference maxima and Newton's rings because it is highly coherent.

5. What are some practical applications of interference maxima and Newton's rings?

Interference maxima and Newton's rings are used in many areas of science and technology, such as in the study of thin films, optics, and surface analysis. They are also used in the production of anti-reflection coatings, which are commonly used in eyeglasses and camera lenses to reduce glare. Additionally, the phenomenon of interference is the basis for many optical instruments, such as interferometers, which are used in precision measurement and testing.