Interested in the science itself more than its applications

In summary, the conversation discusses the narrator's dilemma of whether to switch their major from engineering to physics. They express a greater interest in the science behind their studies rather than its practical applications. However, the other person advises against switching majors and suggests trying out grad school in engineering instead. They also mention that the grass may seem greener on the other side but it's best to stick with their current track. They also mention the potential job opportunities with an engineering degree.
Anonymous579
Hello,
I will begin my junior year in MechE next fall. So far it's been an enjoyable degree and experience. the problem is, I tend to be more interested in the science itself of what I'm studying, rather than its applications. Which makes me sometimes think that I should have majored in a science degree instead (physics). So do you think I should switch major? Or would grad school in engineering be satisfying? I'm going to grad school either way though. Additionally, is it possible/ plausible to get my engineering degree and then get a graduate degree in something like applied physics (specializing in topics covered under my ME degree)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't switch is my opinion.

What I've felt like has changed a lot through the 4 years of my undergrad & subsequently in the 5 years of grad school.

I've concluded that you'll find things to like & not like no matter what major or research adviser etc you choose. Ergo, it's best to suppress that impulse to switch.

I'd wager that grad school will be satisfying for you in your current track. Try it out.

PS. The grass always looks greener in the other pasture. My speculation is, in an alternate universe, had you majored in Physics you'd likely have been frustrated in the other direction "What sort of abstract, mathematical manipulations are these guys doing!"

Why don't you take a theoretical physics book and work through it? If you truly like it more, then you can switch. But don't switch until you've tried it.
Also, you should not forget that jobs with engineering are more plenty than those with exact sciences. So do keep that in mind before making a decision.

Related to Interested in the science itself more than its applications

1. What is the difference between being interested in the science itself versus its applications?

The main difference is the focus. Being interested in the science itself means that the individual is curious about the fundamental principles and theories behind a particular field of science. On the other hand, being interested in its applications means that the individual is more interested in how those principles and theories can be applied to real-world problems and innovations.

2. Is it important to have a balance between being interested in the science itself and its applications?

Yes, having a balance between the two is crucial for a well-rounded understanding of a particular field of science. While being interested in the science itself can help in developing a strong theoretical foundation, being interested in its applications can lead to practical and tangible solutions to real-world problems.

3. How can one develop an interest in the science itself?

One way to develop an interest in the science itself is by delving deeper into the fundamental concepts and principles of a particular field through reading scientific literature, attending lectures and seminars, and engaging in discussions with experts in the field. It is also important to have a curious and open mindset to fully appreciate the intricacies of the science.

4. Can someone be interested in both the science itself and its applications?

Absolutely! Being interested in both aspects is not mutually exclusive. In fact, having a holistic understanding of a particular field of science can greatly benefit both the individual and the field itself. A deep understanding of the science itself can lead to more innovative and practical applications.

5. Why is it important to have individuals who are interested in the science itself more than its applications?

Having individuals who are primarily interested in the science itself is crucial for pushing the boundaries of knowledge and advancing our understanding of the world. They may not always be focused on immediate applications, but their contributions can pave the way for future innovations and breakthroughs.