Interested in Quantum Computing

In summary, if you are interested in pursuing a career in quantum computing, a degree in physics would be more suitable than computer engineering. Quantum computing is still in its early stages and a lot of research is focused on quantum information systems. Some recommended books for gaining basic knowledge in this field include "Quantum Computing: A Short Course from Theory to Experiment", "Molecular Realizations of Quantum Computing", "Mathematical Aspects Of Quantum Computing", "Nano, Quantum and Molecular Computing", "Quantum Computing and Communications", and "Quantum Communication, Computing and Measurement 2". It is also important to have a strong foundation in quantum mechanics.
ninevolt
Hi,

I'm a second year physics major with specialization in computational physics, and I have recently become interested in quantum computing, and stuff dealing with computers like the memory cell nanoribbons made of graphene. I wanted know if I am currently pursing the best degree to get involved in that field, of if I should switch over to a major like Computer Engineering?

Thanks
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can tell, quantum computing is still in its early stages. As of now, a scalable quantum computer has not been built. A lot of research is focused on quantum information systems. That is, extracting information about the state of quantum systems, and using that data to perform computational operations with these quantum bits. There is not one decided basis for a quantum computer, but many in the running. Some candidates include: spin-based, Bose-Einstein Condensate-based, superconductor-based, and quantum dot-based. Given the variety and depth of these topics, it seems to me that physics is a much more appropriate degree than computer engineering. I do not think that an engineering curriculum would touch on any of these topics in any sort of detail. Either way, I think you need to count on pursuing graduate education to make any real contribution to quantum computing.

The Wikipedia article is pretty good on quantum computing, and provides some interesting outside sources. I got some of the above information from there. Also, while applying to graduate school, I read about quite a few physicists whose research provides possible groundwork for quantum computing. There were very few, however, who did direct research in quantum computing, so bear in mind that you may have to start (like I am) in quantum information science, and someday use those skills for quantum computing experiments.

You're only a second year; have you taken a quantum mechanics class, yet?

I am doing a study project on Quantum Computing, please suggest me some of the books which can give me the very basic knowledge of the area and about the Shor's algorithm.
So that i can understand the subject of Quantum Computing.
Thanking you

Suggested Books:
1. Joachim Stolze and Deiter Suter, Quantum Computing: A Short Course from Theory to Experiment Publisher: Wiley-VCH | ISBN: 3527404384 | edition 2004 | PDF | 246 pages

2. Molecular Realizations of Quantum Computing 2007, World Scientific Publishing Company | June 30, 2009 | ISBN: 9812838678 | 267 pages

3. Mikio Nakahara , Robabeh Rahimi , Akira SaiToh, Mathematical Aspects Of Quantum Computing 2007 (Linki University Series on Quantum Computing) PUBLISHER : World Scientific Publishing Company, iSBN : 978-9812814470, PAGES : 222 Pages

4. Nano, Quantum and Molecular Computing: Implications to High Level Design and Validation by Sandeep K. Shukla (Editor), R. Iris Bahar (Editor), ISBN-10 / ASIN: 1402080670 | ISBN-13 / EAN: 9781402080678 | Publisher: Springer | Number Of Pages: 358

5. Quantum Computing and Communications : An Engineering Approach by Sandor Imre,
ISBN-10 / ASIN: 047086902X | ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780470869024 |Publisher: Wiley | Number Of Pages: 314

6. Quantum Communication, Computing and Measurement 2 by Prem Kumar | ISBN-10 / ASIN: 0306463075 |ISBN-13 / EAN: 9780306463075 |Publisher: Springer| Number Of Pages: 548

Hi Mike,

It's great to hear that you are interested in quantum computing! It is a rapidly growing field with endless potential for advancements and applications.

As a physics major with a focus on computational physics, you are already on the right track. Quantum computing combines principles of physics and computer science, so your background in both will be valuable in this field.

That being said, it may also be beneficial to take some courses in computer engineering or computer science to gain a deeper understanding of the hardware and programming aspects of quantum computing.

Ultimately, the best degree for you will depend on your specific interests and career goals within the field of quantum computing. I would recommend researching different job roles and talking to professionals in the industry to gain a better understanding of the skills and qualifications needed.

Best of luck in your studies and pursuit of quantum computing!

Related to Interested in Quantum Computing

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing technology that utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to perform calculations. It uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can represent multiple states simultaneously, allowing for much faster and more complex computations compared to classical computers.

2. How does quantum computing differ from classical computing?

Quantum computing differs from classical computing in several ways. While classical computers use bits that can only represent a 0 or 1, quantum computers use qubits that can represent multiple states at once. This allows for parallel processing and can solve certain problems much faster. Additionally, quantum computers use quantum gates, which operate on the superposition of qubits, while classical computers use logic gates, which operate on binary inputs.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize various fields, including cryptography, finance, drug discovery, and artificial intelligence. It could also greatly improve optimization and simulation tasks, making it useful for industries such as transportation and logistics.

4. How advanced is quantum computing technology currently?

Quantum computing technology is still in its early stages of development, and there is no fully-functional quantum computer that can outperform classical computers in all tasks. However, several companies and research institutions are making significant progress in building quantum computers with more qubits and increasing their coherence times.

5. What are the challenges facing the development of quantum computing?

There are several challenges facing the development of quantum computing, including the need for better qubit stability and control, reducing errors in calculations, and developing scalable quantum algorithms. Additionally, there are also challenges in building the necessary infrastructure and educating a new generation of scientists and engineers in quantum computing.