Interested in PhD but no research experience

In summary, the individual has a BSEE degree and has been working in the electronics field for a year before deciding to take a break and pursue a PhD in either physics or EE. However, they lack research experience and quality letters of recommendation. They are considering taking classes as a non-degree seeking student to gain current recommendations and improve their chances of getting into a better PhD program. They also discuss their concerns about the timing and feasibility of pursuing an MS degree. Another individual shares their personal experience with a similar situation and advises that taking a class as a non-degree student may be effective in improving chances of admission to a graduate program. They also mention that applying to top universities may be difficult with a gap in education or work experience, but there are
jtf
Hello all,

I'm interested in any advice anyone can offer me. I graduated with a BSEE a few years ago and then worked in an electronics role for a little over a year. I saved enough money while working to quit my job, travel for awhile, and ponder my future. Even while working, I felt the pull to return to school. Since then, during my time away from the real world, I've decided I'd like to return to pursue a PhD in either physics or EE. I've been self-studying to brush up on some rusty theory, but my bigger problem is I lack research experience. I did well in school but I only have the grades to show for it. I also lack quality letters of recommendation. For this, I was thinking about taking a class or two as a non-degree seeking student to hopefully get current recommendations.

Couple questions...do you think the fact that I haven't worked or been in school for a couple years will be a major obstacle for admission to graduate school? Am I better off applying to lesser known PhD programs or first paying my way through an MSc to gain research experience?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have experience in your situation but my experience is now >30 years old. I even had poor grades, but possibly good letters of recommendation and one semester of undergrad research. Even the research was under a cloud. I was supposed to complete it by May graduation, but it hung on until October. I graduated in May because I had enough credits without the research.

Here is what I did. I enrolled as a non-degree student for a graduate physics course in math-physics and made a B+. I asked that professor for a recommendation. He was (still is) a famous author and noted researcher. I do think he did not have to be notable though, so don't be discouraged. Two more professors filled in LOR.

My graduate school later discussed my entry and said the year off I took working (city civil service; not even physics related) and doing the course spoke well for my maturity. They felt it was a merit.

However, I did have 55% Physics GRE, (not great but better than average).

I applied to three schools; the best ranked was about 35. The second also had a Ph.D program, the third had no PhD program but a masters. The grad manual read that after masters with good grades/research, transfers could be made to a nearby university with a PhD program.

I got into all three. Attended the best ranked but sometimes I think the second would have been better.

Long Story short, If you want to get into a program in the top (ten or maybe 20) universities in the US, it will be difficult (still possible). I think with good physics GRE's you have a good chance at the next 20. I also feel physics graduate schools outside the top 20 are strong educationally.

I applaud your idea to take one (or 2) classes as a non-degree student, and I do think it will be effective.
(I hope graduate schools today are as far-sighted as they were > 30 years ago.)

Good Luck, at least you have the grades. My cum was about 2.4 although I had a 3.3 the last semester.

mpresic, thanks for your encouraging reply. I'll be happy if my situation works out as well as it sounds like yours did.

One concern I have is that there probably won't be an appropriate class to take until the fall, and with application deadlines usually coming by the end of year, I'll need recommendations before I finish the class.

Also, I need to look into how feasible it is to pursue an MS and have it funded. My hope is that would allow me to gain some research experience and increase my chances of getting into a better PhD program. We'll see...a lot to think about, and more urgently, I need to get to studying for the physics GRE.

Related to Interested in PhD but no research experience

1. Can I pursue a PhD without any research experience?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD without any prior research experience. However, having research experience can give you a better understanding of the research process and make you a more competitive candidate for PhD programs.

2. Will not having research experience hinder my chances of getting into a PhD program?

Not having research experience may make you a less competitive candidate for some PhD programs, but it does not necessarily mean you will not be accepted. Other factors such as strong academic performance and letters of recommendation can also play a significant role in the admissions process.

3. How can I gain research experience if I am interested in pursuing a PhD?

There are several ways to gain research experience, even if you do not have any prior experience. You can reach out to professors in your field of interest and ask if they have any research opportunities available. You can also participate in internships or volunteer at research labs to gain hands-on experience.

4. Is research experience necessary for all PhD programs?

No, not all PhD programs require research experience. Some programs may prioritize other factors such as academic performance or professional experience. It is important to research the specific requirements of the PhD programs you are interested in to determine if research experience is necessary.

5. Can I still be successful in a PhD program without research experience?

Yes, research experience is not the only factor that determines success in a PhD program. Other qualities such as persistence, critical thinking skills, and a strong work ethic are also important in achieving success. Additionally, many PhD programs offer opportunities for students to gain research experience during their studies.