Interested in hydrology/hydrogeology. What do I do next?

• Thread starter intelart
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is a college sophomore who has changed their major from Music to Physics. They plan on assisting a professor with research in acoustics in the fall and are interested in exploring the fields of hydrology and hydrogeology. They have done online research and found potential research programs to apply for, but want to wait until they have more physics coursework completed. They are seeking recommendations for an introductory book or job shadowing opportunities to explore the field of hydrology before pursuing a Master's degree. The individual also asks about funding for hydrology graduate students and the likelihood of receiving an assistantship instead of taking out loans. The responder suggests looking into the geology department and speaking with a professor about research opportunities, and mentions that funding
intelart
I am a college sophomore who has recently changed her major from Music to Physics.I'm planning on helping a professor with his research in acoustics in the fall. Right now, I want to at least explore the fields of hydrology and hydrogeology, but I don't know where to start.

My college has an environmental science program. While it does have a few geology classes and the major has a good dose of science, I'm not sure if they would know what to do with a physics major. I've already done plenty of online research (ie. Google) and found some research programs I could apply for, but I want to wait a year until I have some more physics coursework under my belt.

So if anyone can recommend a good introductory book, or places to look for job shadowing, or any other way, I can explore this field before I go off to get a Master's?

P.S. How is funding for hydrology grad students? Do students usually get some sort of assistantship or am I likely looking at more loans?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was in a similar situation a semester or two ago with geophysics (which I believe hydrology can be grouped with). I do not know a lot about hydrology research, but what I do know is that much of it is housed in the geology/geophysics departments. I figure you probably know this already but you did not make it absolutely clear in your post. I would suggest looking in the geology department at your school and talking with a professor about the research going on. I know of physics students doing geophysics research in the geology department at my school. As far as funding for graduates in hydrology research, I would assume it is similar to other branches of geophysics which is typically pretty good from what I hear. Generally, if you have to take out loans for grad school then you are at the wrong institution.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

and when i mean grad school, I meant a Master's degree. I realized that many people see "grad school" and "doctorate" as synonyms, so I thought I'd clarify.

Related to Interested in hydrology/hydrogeology. What do I do next?

1. What is the difference between hydrology and hydrogeology?

Hydrology is the study of the movement, distribution, and quality of water on Earth, including its cycle and interactions with the environment. Hydrogeology is a subset of hydrology that specifically focuses on the study of groundwater, including its occurrence, flow, and quality.

2. What kind of education or training do I need to pursue a career in hydrology/hydrogeology?

Most hydrologists and hydrogeologists have at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as geology, environmental science, or engineering. Many also have a master's or doctoral degree, which can open up more advanced job opportunities.

3. What kind of job opportunities are available in hydrology/hydrogeology?

There are a variety of job opportunities in hydrology and hydrogeology, including positions in government agencies, consulting firms, research institutions, and non-profit organizations. Some common job titles include hydrologist, hydrogeologist, water resources engineer, and environmental scientist.

4. What skills are important for a career in hydrology/hydrogeology?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are crucial for a career in hydrology and hydrogeology. Additionally, good communication skills, both written and verbal, are important for presenting and explaining complex data and findings. Knowledge of computer modeling and GIS software is also valuable in this field.

5. Are there any professional organizations or associations for hydrology/hydrogeology?

Yes, there are several professional organizations and associations for those interested in hydrology and hydrogeology, such as the American Water Resources Association, the National Ground Water Association, and the American Institute of Hydrology. These organizations offer networking opportunities, conferences, and resources for professionals in the field.