Intensity of light after passing thru polaroid

In summary: Based on the wording, I think my interpretation is what was intended.In summary, the question asks for the angle at which the intensity of light passing through two polarizers is 1/3 of its initial intensity. However, the wording of the question may be misleading, causing confusion about whether the initial light is polarized or unpolarized.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

Two pieces of polaroid are arranged so they are initially parallel . One of the polaroid is rotated until the intensity of the light beam from the two polaroid is 1/3 of its initial intensity . Calculate the angle turned thru the polaroid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume it's a non-polarised passing thru the first polaroid , then the second polaroid is rotated.
so i have Intensity after passing thru 1st polaroid (I 1 ) = 0.5 intensity of non-polarised (I 0)...
for light ray emerging from second polaroid = (I 2 ) = 0.5(I 0) ( (cos θ )^2) .finally i found out my θ = 35.3° the ans form the book is 54.7°

why i am wrong?
the initial light ray is polarised or non- polarised? how to determine it? it's not stated in the question...

Physics news on Phys.org
somecelxis said:

Homework Statement

Two pieces of polaroid are arranged so they are initially parallel . One of the polaroid is rotated until the intensity of the light beam from the two polaroid is 1/3 of its initial intensity . Calculate the angle turned thru the polaroid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i assume it's a non-polarised passing thru the first polaroid , then the second polaroid is rotated.
so i have Intensity after passing thru 1st polaroid (I 1 ) = 0.5 intensity of non-polarised (I 0)...
for light ray emerging from second polaroid = (I 2 ) = 0.5(I 0) ( (cos θ )^2) .finally i found out my θ = 35.3° the ans form the book is 54.7°

why i am wrong?
the initial light ray is polarised or non- polarised? how to determine it? it's not stated in the question...

It sounds like they did not phrase the problem correctly. With the precise phrasing you wrote, you are correct (assuming initial unpolarized light). But if interpret the question as meaning: at what angle is the intensity equal to 1/3 it was before entering the second polarizer (in other words, by "initial" we mean before the second polarizer, not before the two polarizers) then we get the answer they give.

Related to Intensity of light after passing thru polaroid

1. What is the definition of intensity of light?

The intensity of light refers to the amount of light energy per unit area that is received by a surface.

2. How does light intensity change after passing through a polaroid filter?

The intensity of light decreases after passing through a polaroid filter because the filter only allows light waves that are aligned in a certain direction to pass through, blocking out other waves and reducing the overall intensity of the light.

3. What factors can affect the intensity of light after passing through a polaroid filter?

The intensity of light after passing through a polaroid filter can be affected by the angle of the filter, the orientation of the polarized light, and the thickness and quality of the filter itself.

4. How can the intensity of light be measured after passing through a polaroid filter?

The intensity of light can be measured using a light meter, which measures the amount of light energy per unit area. The reading on the light meter will be lower after passing through a polaroid filter compared to before.

5. Can the intensity of light increase after passing through a polaroid filter?

No, the intensity of light cannot increase after passing through a polaroid filter because the filter only allows a portion of the light to pass through and blocks out the rest. It can only decrease or stay the same.