Polaroid sheets and the law of malus

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the law of Malus and two Polaroid sheets to determine the intensity of unpolarised light passing through them. The first sheet is placed horizontally while the second is at a 50 degree angle. The conversation also mentions a calculation of 47% and 28%, which may have been influenced by not using the correct degrees button.
cuddlylover
Unpolarised light passes through two Polaroid sheets. The axis of the rst is horizontal, and
that of the second is 50 above the?

Do i have this right. I am using law of malus I=I0 cos2θ

Im getting 47% but i don't know if that's right. If someone could help that would be awesome thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cuddlylover! :smile:
cuddlylover said:
Unpolarised light passes through two Polaroid sheets. The axis of the rst is horizontal, and that of the second is 50 above the?

how did you get 47% ?

(cos(50)^2)/2

Is that not right?

he he :biggrin:

press the "degrees" button! :wink:

28%?

now you've completely lost me :redface:

how did you get 28% ? :confused:

Me to lol i get the feeling that was not my degrees button i just hit :)

Related to Polaroid sheets and the law of malus

1. What is the law of Malus?

The law of Malus is a principle in physics that describes the relationship between the intensity of polarized light and the angle at which it is transmitted through a polarizing material. It states that the intensity of polarized light passing through a polarizing material is proportional to the square of the cosine of the angle between the polarizing material and the direction of the light.

2. How do polaroid sheets work?

Polaroid sheets are made up of long chain molecules that are aligned in a specific direction. These sheets act as a filter for light waves, allowing only waves that are aligned with the molecules to pass through. This results in polarized light, which reduces glare and increases contrast in images.

3. Can polaroid sheets block all polarized light?

No, polaroid sheets can only block polarized light that is aligned with the molecules in the sheet. If the light is not aligned, it will pass through the sheet. Additionally, some polaroid sheets may not be able to block certain wavelengths of polarized light.

4. Are there any legal restrictions on the use of polaroid sheets?

In most cases, there are no legal restrictions on the use of polaroid sheets. However, some countries may have laws regulating the use of polarized filters for certain activities, such as driving. It is important to check local laws and regulations before using polaroid sheets in these situations.

5. Can polaroid sheets be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, polaroid sheets can be used in scientific experiments to study the properties of polarized light and the law of Malus. They are commonly used in optics, physics, and photography experiments to demonstrate the effects of polarized light and to measure its intensity.