Influence of undergraduate class rank on gradute admission

In summary, the speaker is a Computer Engineering undergraduate student at the State University of Campinas (Brazil), which is ranked second best in Latin America. They are considering pursuing a graduate level education at a top-tier American university and are wondering if their university's ranking will be taken into consideration since their class rank may not be in the top 5 or 10%. They are advised to discuss this with their professors and also focus on getting a letter of recommendation and doing extra-curricular research/work to improve their application.
Farzin Shams
I'm currently a Computer Engineering undergraduate student at the State University of Campinas (Brazil), and according to Times Higher Education World University Rankings, my university is ranked second best in Latin America. I'm considering to pursue a graduate level education on a top-tier american university.

Brazilian universities don't have GPA, but they do have class ranks to show academic performance. I'm currently in position 25/93 (top 27%), and I've seen that some institutions look for students who are top 5 or 10% in their class. I would like to know if the graduate admissions office will take into account the fact that my university is one of the best in Latin America, thus it's much more difficult to achieve top rank because my classmates are Brazilian elite students.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It depends on the office and how diligent they want to be.
The US colleges which admit nonUS students usually have a system of ranking foreign tertiary institutions ... when they receive your application they will look at your qualifications and look up the college in their list and apply the ranking accordingly. Going to a good college will certainly help your application. You'll probably also want to get a letter of recommendation and maybe do some extra-curricular research/work: discuss it with your profs.

Related to Influence of undergraduate class rank on gradute admission

1. How does undergraduate class rank affect graduate admission?

Undergraduate class rank can have a significant impact on graduate admission. Admissions committees often view a high class rank as an indicator of academic excellence and potential for success in a graduate program.

2. Is class rank the only factor considered in graduate admission decisions?

No, class rank is not the only factor considered in graduate admission. Admissions committees also look at other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, standardized test scores, and relevant experience.

3. Can a low class rank prevent me from getting into a graduate program?

A low class rank does not necessarily prevent someone from being admitted to a graduate program. Admissions committees also consider other aspects of an applicant's profile, such as their personal statement, letters of recommendation, and relevant experience.

4. How much weight does undergraduate class rank carry in the graduate admission process?

The weight of undergraduate class rank in the graduate admission process can vary depending on the program and the institution. Some programs may place a higher emphasis on class rank, while others may prioritize other factors.

5. Can a high undergraduate class rank compensate for a lower standardized test score?

In some cases, a high undergraduate class rank can help compensate for a lower standardized test score. However, this ultimately depends on the specific admissions criteria of the program and institution. It is important to have a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths in all areas.