Infinitely long cylinder - locate bound currents and calculate field

In summary: The field due to the volume distribution is mu0 k(R-s)z-hat. The current loop must enclose some sort of current for there to be any sort of magnetic field. This is why outside of a solenoid the B field is zero.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder, of radius R, carries a frozen-in magnetisation, parallel to the z-axis, M=ks k-hat, where k is a constant and s is the distance from the axis. There is no free current anywhere. Find the magnetic field B inside and outside the cylinder by two different methods:

i) Locate all bound currents, and calculate the field they produce; and
ii) Use Ampere's law, the loop integral of H.dl=I(subscript enc), to find H, then get Bfrom H=(1/mu0)B-M

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer on http://www.nhn.ou.edu/~shaferry/41832005_files/finalsol.pdf

but what I don't understand is why far away from the loop the B field must go to zero. I would be grateful if someone could explain please.

Physics news on Phys.org
but what I don't understand is why far away from the loop the B field must go to zero. I would be grateful if someone could explain please.[/QUOTE]

Same reason that B outside an infinitely long solenoid is zero. Looking at a given section of the solenoid, coil currents flow in opposite directions along the two sides of the solenoid, canceling the external field. A permanent-magnet cylinder is no different if magnetization is along the major axis (center). Amperian currents merely assume the role played by a solenoid's current-carrying wire.

So B doesn't just disappear at infinity, it disappears anywhere outside the OD of the rod.

This can be proven more rigorously by application of the Biot-Savart law.

cf. Resnick & Halliday, sect. 34-5.

the current loop need to enclose some sort of current for there to be any sort of magnetic field this is why outside a solenoid the B field is zero

That only means that the circulation (closed-path integral) of B is zero. It does not preclude segments of the path being finite, as long as they cancel around the path.

Example: a single loop of curent-carrying wire. Choose a closed path in front of the loop but not intersected by the loop. B is certainly not zero in front of the loop!

thanks,
for que i), why is the field due to the volume distribution=mu0 k(R-s)z-hat?
The bound current due to the volume is curl M=- k phi-hat, but how does this lead to:

the field due to the volume distribution=mu0 k(R-s)z-hat?

I'm sorry no one's replied to that, incl. me. Truth is, I don't know the answer without researching the subject more myself.

thanks anyway. think i found out in the end, though

Related to Infinitely long cylinder - locate bound currents and calculate field

1. What is an infinitely long cylinder?

An infinitely long cylinder is a theoretical object that has an infinite length but a finite radius. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations and model real-life situations.

2. How do you locate bound currents in an infinitely long cylinder?

To locate bound currents in an infinitely long cylinder, you need to use the Ampere's law. This law states that the integral of magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current enclosed by the loop. By using this law, you can determine the direction and magnitude of the bound currents in the cylinder.

3. What are bound currents?

Bound currents are the currents that are induced in a material when it is placed in an external magnetic field. These currents are caused by the alignment of the magnetic dipoles in the material and are responsible for creating a magnetic field that opposes the external field.

4. How do you calculate the magnetic field in an infinitely long cylinder?

To calculate the magnetic field in an infinitely long cylinder, you need to use the Biot-Savart law. This law states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor and inversely proportional to the distance between the point and the current element. By integrating this law over the entire surface of the cylinder, you can calculate the magnetic field at any point.

5. What are some real-life applications of an infinitely long cylinder?

Some real-life applications of an infinitely long cylinder include modeling solenoids, which are used in electromagnets and speakers, and analyzing the behavior of magnetic materials. It is also used in engineering to simplify calculations for long cylindrical structures such as pipes, wires, and cables.