Infimum of Subsets in R: True or False?

• Thread starter Bolz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subsets
In summary, the statement "If a is both the infimum of A\subseteq \mathbb{R} and of B\subseteq \mathbb{R} then a is also the infimum of A\capB" is false. A counterexample is when A is the set of all positive rational numbers with an infimum of 0, and B is the set of all positive irrational numbers with an infimum of 0. Their intersection is empty, and the infimum of the empty set is undefined. It is common for beginners to get frustrated while learning on their own, but it is important to keep practicing and seek help when needed.
Bolz

Homework Statement

If a is both the infimum of A[itex]\subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] and of B[itex]\subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] then a is also the infimum of A[itex]\cap[/itex]B

Is this statement true or false? If true, prove it. If false, give a counterexample.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's true because let's say A={1,2,3,4} and B={1,2,3} then A[itex]\cap[/itex]B = {1,2,3}.

Then inf {A}= 1 and inf {B} = 1.
And inf {A[itex]\cap[/itex]B} = 1.

However, I think it's false because, and correct me if I'm wrong, the infimum doesn't necessarily have to belong to the subsets A nor B to be an infimum. The infimum can also be a value outside of those sets. Which would imply that the infimum of A and B doesn't have to be equal to the infimum of A[itex]\cap[/itex]B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolz said:

Homework Statement

If a is both the infimum of A[itex]\subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] and of B[itex]\subseteq \mathbb{R}[/itex] then a is also the infimum of A[itex]\cap[/itex]B

Is this statement true or false? If true, prove it. If false, give a counterexample.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's true because let's say A={1,2,3,4} and B={1,2,3} then A[itex]\cap[/itex]B = {1,2,3}.

Then inf {A}= 1 and inf {B} = 1.
And inf {A[itex]\cap[/itex]B} = 1.

However, I think it's false because, and correct me if I'm wrong, the infimum doesn't necessarily have to belong to the subsets A nor B to be an infimum. The infimum can also be a value outside of those sets. Which would imply that the infimum of A and B doesn't have to be equal to the infimum of A[itex]\cap[/itex]B.

What happens if [itex]A \cap B[/itex] is empty? Nothing in the problem statement says that they have to intersect, so long as they have the same infimum which, as you point out, does not have to be a member of either A or B.

Is it possible to have two subsets [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] with [itex]\inf A = \inf B[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = \varnothing[/itex]?

Hm, I don't think that last part is possible. Both sets have something in common, i.e. the infimum, which would imply [itex]A \cap B[/itex] is not empty. Is my reasoning correct?

Have you heard of Zeno's paradox (the well-known one I mean)?

verty said:
Have you heard of Zeno's paradox (the well-known one I mean)?

Yes. Why?

Bolz said:
Hm, I don't think that last part is possible. Both sets have something in common, i.e. the infimum, which would imply [itex]A \cap B[/itex] is not empty. Is my reasoning correct?
No it is not. Let A be the set of all positive rational numbers. It's infimum is 0. Let B be the set of all positive irrational numbers. Its infimum is also 0. But their intersection is empty.

HallsofIvy said:
No it is not. Let A be the set of all positive rational numbers. It's infimum is 0. Let B be the set of all positive irrational numbers. Its infimum is also 0. But their intersection is empty.

So this would fit as a counterexample because you've found the exact same infimum for set A and set B, i.e. 0, and this infimum does not equate to the infimum of their empty intersection?

Bolz said:
So this would fit as a counterexample because you've found the exact same infimum for set A and set B, i.e. 0, and this infimum does not equate to the infimum of their empty intersection?

Indeed, ##inf(ø) = ∞## and ##sup(ø) = -∞##.

Likes 1 person
Zondrina said:
Indeed, ##inf(ø) = ∞## and ##sup(ø) = -∞##.

Thanks! Unrelated question : Any advice to someone learning this on his own? I love physics and I know I have to grind through the mathematical details because they matter too but sometimes I get a bit frustrated if I don't immediately get the answer correct.

Related to Infimum of Subsets in R: True or False?

What is the infimum of a subset in R?

The infimum of a subset in R is the greatest lower bound of the set. In other words, it is the largest number that is less than or equal to all the numbers in the subset.

How is the infimum of a subset in R different from the minimum?

The infimum of a subset in R may or may not belong to the subset, while the minimum is always a member of the subset. Additionally, the infimum may not be a unique value, while the minimum always is.

Can the infimum of a subset in R be negative?

Yes, the infimum of a subset in R can be any real number, including negative numbers. It simply represents the greatest lower bound of the set, regardless of whether the numbers in the set are positive or negative.

What is the relationship between the infimum of a subset in R and its supremum?

The supremum of a subset in R is the smallest upper bound of the set, while the infimum is the greatest lower bound. The infimum and supremum are related in that the infimum is always less than or equal to the supremum.

How is the infimum of a subset in R used in mathematical analysis?

The infimum of a subset in R is often used in proofs and calculations in mathematical analysis. It is particularly useful in proving the existence of certain mathematical objects, such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.