Induction Motor Auto-Transformer Starter - Power and Torque

In summary, Jim wrote an equation in MS Word that shows power input per phase is proportional to torque. He also explains that the cosine of current angle is the same as cosine of impedance angle Rp/Zp.
Stu80

Homework Statement

Describe an auto-transformer starter. From the expression for power
input per phase (∝ torque) show that for a turns ratio (n) of √3:1 , for
the auto-transformer:

upload_2018-11-15_8-54-52.png

Homework Equations

Pin (phase) = 3 V I cos∅

I = V/Z

cos∅ = R/Z

T∝I∧2
T∝V∧2

For auto transformer with ration n:1, V=V/n, I=nI, T∝1/n∧2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the question fully, what would be my starting expression? Pin (phase) = 3 V I cos∅?

How do I relate this to being proportional to torque?

I presume in the expression for the power input to the motor/phase that the resistance and impedance is that of the phase with them being denoted with a p?

I've atempted a number of solutions by substituting I and cos∅ for V/Z and R/Z respectively into Pin (phase) = 3 V I cos∅ but I don't come out with anything relevant.

Could you help me get started please?

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-15_8-54-52.png
    upload_2018-11-15_8-54-52.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,586
Physics news on Phys.org
Stu80 said:
From the expression for power
input per phase
Has your text given you a formula for "power input per phase " that includes terms Rp and Zp ?

No unfortunately it hasn’t, what I posted in the problem statement is everything I have.

Stu80 said:
I don't understand the question fully, what would be my starting expression? Pin (phase) = 3 V I cos∅?

i agree it isn't clearly stated .

How do I relate this to being proportional to torque?
i don't think you have to prove that because they already told you "the expression for power input per phase (whatever that is-jh) is (∝ torque) "

I presume in the expression for the power input to the motor/phase that the resistance and impedance is that of the phase with them being denoted with a p?
i think that's safe to assume.
what else do we know?
We know that a motor has resistance and inductance
so we might express the impedance Z of a phase as R +jXL.

And do we know that apparent power = V2/Z ? If not, check that out with Ohm's Law.

And do we know that R/Z = cosine Φ ? If not, check that out with Pythagoras.

Hmmm. Might that awful looking fraction break down into something less fearsome?
upload_2018-11-20_0-48-52.png

Break it into a product of individual terms and see if anything logical falls out...

##\frac{1} {n}## X ## \frac {1}{n}## X V X ## \frac {V} {Z} ## X ## \frac {R} {Z}##now ignore the 1/n 's for a moment and concentrate on what's left
does it resemble VIcosΦ ?

Now what to do with those n's ?

I've atempted a number of solutions by substituting I and cos∅ for V/Z and R/Z respectively into Pin (phase) = 3 V I cos∅ but I don't come out with anything relevant.
why the 3 ?

Grad students who write the homework problems for textbook authors often leave clues for you to decipher just like in a mystery novel.
Always take a close look at what they give you and ask "Why did he say that " ?
And, take just one thought step at a time.
Here in homework forums we're not supposed to give you the answer, instead to lead your thoughts toward it.
To that end i just went back to very basics .
Basics rock ... Trust them !

old jim
"Never trust a computer with anything important."

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-20_0-48-52.png
    upload_2018-11-20_0-48-52.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Thanks for replying Jim, here's what I have snipped from MS Word:

upload_2018-11-26_13-29-54.png

Please let me know if it looks good.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-26_13-22-47.png
    upload_2018-11-26_13-22-47.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 285
  • upload_2018-11-26_13-29-54.png
    upload_2018-11-26_13-29-54.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 619
Stu80 said:
here's what I have snipped from MS Word:

Aha ! Same exact thing we figured out up above. from the basics.

But what MS Word document is that from? Your text ?

So what happens to that expression for power when you insert the turns ratio √3 ?

Might it make sense to divide the terms at the two applied voltages?
That's often a handy little algebra trick that reduces the number of unknowns.

It's my MS Word document, I'm just writing the answer to the question up, I find it easier to type it up in the equation editor in word as opposed to the text box provided.

I'm not sure I understand your comment, I thought I was simply proving the final equation or do I have to go a step further and substitute the (√3)^2 which would obviously replace the n^2 with 3?

For the next two parts of the question I have the following:

upload_2018-11-26_14-57-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-26_14-57-40.png
    upload_2018-11-26_14-57-40.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 594
Likes jim hardy
I think you have now answered all three of the questions in your original post.

Bravo !

you might annotate your snip with comments
to help you remember should teacher ask you to explain it to class.
Be ready to clarify why cosine of current angle is the same as .cosine of impedance angle Rp/Zp.

I would rehearse a blackboard demonstration "just in case".
That might sound vain, but if he doesn't ask you don't have to admit to it.
Boy Scout's Motto "Be Prepared"

old jim

Sorry for the late reply - Thank you for all your help Jim.

You're welcome.

Did we get it right ? Did teacher have you work it on the blackboard ?

old jim

Related to Induction Motor Auto-Transformer Starter - Power and Torque

1. What is an induction motor auto-transformer starter?

An induction motor auto-transformer starter is a type of motor starter that is used to control the starting and stopping of an induction motor. It uses an auto-transformer to reduce the voltage supplied to the motor during starting, which helps to reduce the inrush current and minimize damage to the motor.

2. How does an induction motor auto-transformer starter work?

An induction motor auto-transformer starter works by using an auto-transformer to initially supply the motor with reduced voltage during starting. This reduces the inrush current, and as the motor accelerates, the voltage is gradually increased until it reaches its full operating voltage.

3. What are the benefits of using an induction motor auto-transformer starter?

There are several benefits to using an induction motor auto-transformer starter. It helps to reduce the inrush current, which can help to prolong the life of the motor. It also helps to improve the power factor and reduce voltage dips during motor starting. Additionally, it can help to reduce the size and cost of the motor starter compared to other starting methods.

4. What is the relationship between power and torque in an induction motor auto-transformer starter?

In an induction motor auto-transformer starter, the power and torque are directly related. As the voltage is reduced during starting, the current and torque are also reduced. However, as the voltage is gradually increased, the current and torque also increase until the motor reaches its full operating voltage and torque.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using an induction motor auto-transformer starter?

One potential disadvantage of using an induction motor auto-transformer starter is that it may cause a high starting current, which can lead to voltage dips in the power supply. This can be mitigated by using a larger auto-transformer or using a soft starter in conjunction with the auto-transformer starter. Additionally, the use of an auto-transformer starter may result in a slightly reduced efficiency compared to other starting methods.