Indie's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a separable ODE/partial fractions

In summary, the partial decomposition problem in calculus is to find dy/dx when given y(x)=- 3000x+C.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Partial Decomposition Problem (Calculus)?

I am doing some review problems but I don't understand how to do this problem... any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance. This is for my BC Calculus Class in Nebraska so not too many people are familiar with this math here that I know.

(dy/dx) = .3y - .0001(y^2)

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Indie,

We are given to solve the first order ODE:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=0.3y-0.0001y^2\)

First, let's multiply through by $10000$ to get rid of the decimals:

\(\displaystyle 10000\frac{dy}{dx}=3000y-y^2\)

Next, let's separate variables:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y(3000-y)}\,dy=\frac{1}{10000}\,dx\)

Now, the expression on the left may be rewritten using partial fraction decomposition. We may assume the decomposition will take the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y(3000-y)}=\frac{A}{y}+\frac{B}{3000-y}\)

Multiplying through by \(\displaystyle y(3000-y)\) we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 1=A(3000-y)+By\)

Since this is true for all $y$, letting $y=0$ we get:

\(\displaystyle 1=3000A\implies A=\frac{1}{3000}\)

And letting $y=3000$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle 1=3000B\implies B=\frac{1}{3000}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{y(3000-y)}=\frac{1}{3000}\left(\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{3000-y} \right)\)

And so the ODE may be written:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{y-3000} \right)\,dy=\frac{3}{10}\,dx\)

Integrating, we find:

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{y}-\frac{1}{y-3000}\,dy=\frac{3}{10}\int\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle \ln\left|\frac{y}{y-3000} \right|=\frac{3}{10}x+C\)

Converting from logarithmic to exponential form (and rewriting the parameter $C$), we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{y}{y-3000}=Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}\)

Now we want to solve for $y$. Multiply through by $y-3000$:

\(\displaystyle y=(y-3000)Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}\)

\(\displaystyle y\left(Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}-1 \right)=3000Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{3000Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}}{Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}-1}\)

Now, dividing each term in the numerator and denominator by \(\displaystyle Ce^{\frac{3}{10}x}\) and rewriting the parameter again, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\frac{3000}{1+Ce^{-\frac{3}{10}x}}\)

Related to Indie's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a separable ODE/partial fractions

What is a separable ODE?

A separable ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that can be written in the form of dy/dx = g(x)/f(y), where g(x) and f(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. This means that the derivative of y with respect to x can be separated into two functions, one dependent on x and the other on y.

What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method of breaking down a rational function (a function with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator) into simpler fractions. This is useful for solving integrals and can also be used in solving separable ODEs.

How do you solve a separable ODE?

To solve a separable ODE, you can follow these steps:1. Rewrite the ODE in the form dy/dx = g(x)/f(y)2. Integrate both sides with respect to x3. Use partial fractions to rewrite the integral involving f(y)4. Solve for y and include any initial conditions given in the problem

What is the purpose of solving separable ODEs?

Solving separable ODEs can help us understand the relationships between variables in a system and make predictions about how they will change over time. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

Are there any real-life applications of separable ODEs?

Yes, separable ODEs have many real-life applications. They are commonly used in physics to model the motion of objects, in chemistry to study reaction rates, and in biology to model population growth. They can also be used in economics, engineering, and other fields to solve problems involving changing variables over time.