Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition - Yahoo Answers

In summary, to evaluate the given integral, we first factored the numerator, and then used the method of partial fractions to decompose the integrand into simpler terms. From there, we were able to integrate each term using substitution and basic integration rules, and finally arrived at the solution of the integral as ln(sqrt(x^2+1))+1/(x^2+1)^2+C.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I have problems solving this(integration by partial fractions)?

∫ (x^5 + 2x^3 - 3x)dx / (x^2 + 1)^3

I really don't know. Partial fractions. I know that you're supposed to do something like Ax+B when it comes to quadratic eqn's and you're supposed to give another arbitrary constant when it's raised to a power. but I don't think I can do it unless there's something else with it and I have no idea how to factor it. I really should've listened to our earlier algebra classes. :(

I have posted a link there so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Vi3nc6en0t,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\,dx\)

First, we observe that the numerator of the integrand can be factored:

\(\displaystyle x^5+2x^3-3x=x\left(x^4+2x^2-3 \right)=x\left(x^2+3 \right)\left(x^2-1 \right)=x(x+1)(x-1)\left(x^2+3 \right)\)

Thus, there are no common factors to divide out. To complete the partial fraction decomposition, we observe that an integrand with a repeated quadratic factor will decompose as follows:

\(\displaystyle \frac{P(x)}{\left(ax^2+bx+c \right)^n}=\sum_{k=1}^n\left(\frac{A_kx+B_k}{\left(ax^2+bx+c \right)^k} \right)\)

Thus, for the given integrand, we may write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}=\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+1}+\frac{Cx+D}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^2}+\frac{Ex+F}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\)

Multiplying through by \(\displaystyle \left(x^2+1 \right)^3\), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x^5+2x^3-3x=(Ax+B)\left(x^2+1 \right)^2+(Cx+D)\left(x^2+1 \right)+(Ex+F)\)

Expanding the right side and arranging on like powers of $x$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle x^5+2x^3-3x=Ax^5+Bx^4+(2A+C)x^3+(2B+D)x^2+(A+C+E)x+(B+D+F)\)

Equating corresponding coefficients, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle A=1\)

\(\displaystyle B=0\)

\(\displaystyle 2A+C=2\implies C=0\)

\(\displaystyle 2B+D=0\implies D=0\)

\(\displaystyle A+C+E=-3\implies E=-4\)

\(\displaystyle B+D+F=0\implies F=0\)

Thus, we may state:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}=\frac{x}{x^2+1}-\frac{4x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\)

Now, in order to integrate, let's write:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{2x}{x^2+1}\,dx-2\int\frac{2x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\,dx\)

For both integrals, consider the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2+1\,\therefore\,du=2x\,dx\)

And we may now write:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{1}{u}\,du-2\int u^{-3}\,du\)

Applying the rules of integration, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\,dx=\frac{1}{2}\ln|u|-2\frac{u^{-2}}{-2}+C\)

Back substituting for $u$, and applying the property of logs that a coefficient may be taken inside as an exponent we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{x^5+2x^3-3x}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^3}\,dx=\ln\left(\sqrt{x^2+1} \right)+\frac{1}{\left(x^2+1 \right)^2}+C\)

Related to Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition - Yahoo Answers

1. What is Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition is a mathematical method used to simplify and integrate rational functions. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions that can be integrated more easily.

2. When is Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition used?

This method is used when integrating rational functions that cannot be integrated using other techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is particularly useful for integrating functions with denominators that contain repeated or quadratic factors.

3. How do you perform Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition?

The general steps for performing Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and quadratic factors.
  2. Set up the partial fraction decomposition with unknown coefficients for each factor.
  3. Find the values of the unknown coefficients by equating the original rational function to the partial fraction decomposition.
  4. Integrate each term of the partial fraction decomposition using basic integration rules.
  5. Combine the integrated terms to get the final integrated form of the original rational function.

4. What are the benefits of using Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition?

Using this method can make the integration of rational functions simpler and more efficient. It can also help to solve integration problems that would be difficult or impossible to solve using other techniques. Additionally, it is a useful tool for finding the inverse Laplace transform in engineering and physics applications.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Integration by Partial Fraction Decomposition?

A common mistake is not fully factoring the denominator of the rational function before setting up the partial fraction decomposition. This can lead to incorrect values for the unknown coefficients and ultimately result in an incorrect integrated form. It is also important to double check the values of the unknown coefficients and ensure that all terms are integrated correctly before combining them.