Independent current and voltage network analysis

In summary, the book says that the current sources can supply different amounts of power based on the voltage that is applied between the nodes, and that this can be solved using Kirchoffs current law and kirchhoffs voltage law. The textbook says that the 2mA current source supplies 6mW and the 1 mA current source supplies -7mW. The Attempt at a Solution says that the 5v current source supplies 8mW and the 15v current source supplies -7mW.
qizzlestick

Homework Statement

Theres two current sources and three voltages sources the problem wants to know the power supplied by each current source

Homework Equations

according to the book the problem can be solved using Kirchoffs current law and kirchhoffs voltage law

The answers according to the textbook the 2mA current source supplies 6mW and the 1 mA current source supplies -7mW

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only guess that they subtract the 5v by the 8v then multiply the result by the 2mA.
Also subtract the 15v by the 8v and multiply the result by the 1mA source to get the -7mW answer.

Attachments

• 3.2-6.png
    3.2-6.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
qizzlestick said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only guess that they subtract the 5v by the 8v then multiply the result by the 2mA.
Also subtract the 15v by the 8v and multiply the result by the 1mA source to get the -7mW answer.
This is correct, but can you explain why? (I'm not sure about the signs though. I think they should be -6 mW and +7 mW, but I could be wrong.)

The +8v source sets the voltage between the far left and far right nodes to be 8v, with the left node positive. No IF's or BUT's about it.

Best way to approach such ckt problems is to assume a reference node and assign a zero potential to it.Next move across the branches and assign voltages to other nodes by appropriately adding or subtracting voltages keeping in mind you assign movin from lower potential to higher potential a PLUS sign. Then you would have got voltages at all nodes then evaluate power using V*I . Power is being supplied or is positive if current is flowin from higher potential to lower potential and dissipated if vice versa.

Hope its clear now

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, it is important to always approach problems and equations with a critical mindset. In this case, I would recommend double checking the calculations and making sure they are accurate. It is also important to consider the direction of the current and voltage sources and make sure they are correctly labeled in the equations. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a circuit diagram to visualize the problem and make sure all components are accounted for. Overall, it seems like the correct equations and principles were used to solve the problem, but it is important to always double check and verify the results.

Related to Independent current and voltage network analysis

1. What is independent current and voltage network analysis?

Independent current and voltage network analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze electrical circuits. It involves the use of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the currents and voltages in a circuit.

2. What is the purpose of independent current and voltage network analysis?

The purpose of independent current and voltage network analysis is to understand the behavior of complex electrical circuits and to design and optimize them for specific applications. It is also used to troubleshoot and diagnose problems in existing circuits.

3. How is independent current and voltage network analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Independent current and voltage network analysis differs from other circuit analysis methods in that it takes into account the independent sources of current and voltage in a circuit. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of complex circuits.

4. What are some common applications of independent current and voltage network analysis?

Independent current and voltage network analysis is used in a wide range of applications, including power systems, electronic circuits, communication systems, and control systems. It is also used in the design and analysis of electrical networks, such as transmission and distribution systems.

5. What are the limitations of independent current and voltage network analysis?

Independent current and voltage network analysis assumes ideal circuit elements and linear behavior, which may not always accurately reflect real-world circuits. It also requires a good understanding of electrical principles and complex mathematical calculations, making it more challenging for novice users.